I love this recipe and use it all the time! It’s very easy and works well anywhere a can of condensed soup is called for and it is equal to 1 can.
It seems like a thick, alien substance once it’s done, but have you seen the canned stuff? It’s holds the shape of the can until it’s very thoroughly mixed! That’s similar to this recipe, it seems weird and alien-like, but it works really well in recipes 🙂
- 2 Tbsp. Ghee
- 3 Tbsp. tapioca flour or cornstarch (I don't recommend arrowroot for this particular recipe)
- ¾ C non-dairy milk
- ¾ C chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste (roughly ¼ - ½ tsp. each)
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. parsley
- ½ C cooked, shredded chicken
- ¼-1/2 C. mushrooms
- Start by melting butter in non-stick skillet over med heat. If making cream of mushroom soup, add mushrooms and saute until soft. Once they get soft, I cut mine with a wooded spoon so I don't have huge chucks of mushrooms in my soup.
- Then, slowly add the milk alternative and chicken broth.
- Mix the cornstarch, arrowroot, or tapioca flour with 2-3 Tbsp. cold milk alternative in a small bowl until the flour is dissolved. Briefly set aside.
- Bring the milk/broth mixture to a boil.
- Stir the flour mixture again if needed. Then slowly add to the pan, stirring constantly until thickened.
- If your mixture needs to be thicker, mix 1 tsp. cornstarch at a time with some cold water and add the the soup.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Then add the onion powder, garlic powder, parsley and cooked chicken if you are making cream of chicken soup. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.