This is my mom’s potato soup recipe she always made us kids after we had been sick or on a really cold day. Now it’s my turn. Me, my husband, and both children are getting over a horrible stomach bug so naturally this is what I wanted to make for dinner. I just had to make some adjustments to fit our dietary needs and make it dairy free.
It’s warm, comforting, and everything I had remembered. Here’s the recipe:
Vegan Potato Soup
- 4-6 medium potatoes
- ½ onion, minced or 1½ Tbsp. dried onion
- 2 tsp. celery salt
- ½ tsp. salt, to taste
- ¼ tsp. pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2½ C non-dairy milk, divided
- 1 C Full Fat Canned Coconut Milk, well shaken
- ¼ C arrowroot or tapioca flour
- cooked and crumbled bacon, optional
- Peel and cut the potatoes into bite-size pieces.
- Finely chop the onion.
- Place the potatoes and onion in a large saucepan and cover generously with water.
- Add the celery salt, sugar, salt, and pepper. Bring to boil and cook until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add 2 C milk and 1 C coconut milk.
- In a small bowl, mix the arrowroot or tapioca flour with remaining milk (1/2 C) and mix until smooth.
- Bring the soup back to a boil and add the arrowroot mixture. Stir 1 or 2 minutes until thickened.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Garnish with cooked and crumbled bacon.
- Serve on a cold day to sickly people!