When we have a big breakfast, these waffles are always on the menu!
They are really easy to make, have a thick, bread-like center and a crisp outside that makes perfect pockets for your butter and syrup.
In all my experimentation, almond flour makes the best waffles hands down! No aftertaste, not gritty, they don’t fall apart…. real, diner-like waffles 🙂
- 1½ C Blanched Almond Flour, Honeyville Brand (see pantry essentials page)
- 1 C Tapioca Flour or Arrowroot
- 1½ tsp. Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 3 Tbsp Sugar or Palm Sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ C Non-Dairy Milk
- ¼ tsp. Distilled White Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Earth Balance Butter, melted and cooled or grapeseed oil
- ½ C warm water or as needed to thin batter
- ½ tsp pure vanilla
- Mix the milk alternative and vinegar, set aside.
- Melt the butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk together all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl until well combined.
- Stir in the eggs.
- Then, stir in the milk mixture (buttermilk), vanilla, and butter. Mix well. Add water as needed if batter is too thick. It needs to be thick but pour-able.
- Place batter in pre-heated and greased waffle iron and bake until golden-brown.
- Top with Earth Balance (vegan) butter and syrup.
- Enjoy your breakfast and lick your plate clean!