This recipe was inspired by my friend Phylicitee. Her and her family had us over for dinner last week and this was what she made – Chicken Chili. It was so perfect I just knew I wanted to make it. She said that she put all of her ingredients in a crock pot, laid the chicken breasts on top, cooked it all day (low or high I don’t know), then shredded the chicken right before serving. I don’t always think that far in advance so this is a sped-up chicken chili recipe.
For those of you who are signed up via e-mail, sorry about resending my last 2 posts-I’m still trying to figure this stuff out. Also: I updated my chocolate cupcake frosting recipe, will soon be posting a pancake, hamburger bun, and blackberry cobbler recipe, and am currently working on flour tortillas. …Just a few things to look forward to!
Oh yeah, my chicken chili recipe:
- 3 large or 4 small boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- salt and pepper, to season chicken
- ½ - ¾ tsp. Salt
- 2-3 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 can kidney or pinto beans, drained
- 1 can great northern beans, drained
- 1 can ro-tel (diced tomatoes with green chilis)
- 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro, optional
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. basil
- ½ C water
- 1½ C frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- Dairy Free Sour Cream (see link above)
- Franks Red Sauce
- Prepared Yellow Mustard
- Chopped Cilantro
- Defrost chicken if needed and preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place chicken in baking dish and season both sides with salt and pepper. Add ½ C of water, cover with foil, and bake 25 - 30 minutes or until cooked through. Shred using 2 forks or in a stand mixer using a paddle attachment. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in pan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook a few minutes or until translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook about 30 seconds (do not burn garlic) , then add remaining ingredients, including chicken. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings.