As I was going through my recipe box this week preparing to buy groceries, I came across several recipes that called for cream cheese. Since I already have a cream cheese dip, I figured a cream cheese substitute wouldn’t be that hard.
*Next time I make this I think I’ll try making it with Macadamia nuts to try and make it a more white color.
- 1½ C raw cashews, soaked in hot water 30+ minutes (if you can’t find raw at least use no salt added cashews)
- ¼ tsp. minced garlic
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 – 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp. xanthan gum, optional but will help thicken
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil, solid or liquid form
- 3 Tbsp. SO Delicious coconut creamer or milk, original
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. tahini
- ½ C water, as needed
- ¾ tsp. sea salt
- up to ¼ tsp. garlic powder, as desired
- Soak cashews in very hot water for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Or in room temperature water overnight.
- Drain and rinse cashews. Then, add to blender.
- Add remaining ingredients using only ¼ C of the water. Blend on high until well combined and smooth. Taste and adjust ingredients as needed.
- Add additional water as needed to help facilitate blending.
- Cover and refrigerate 30 – 45 minutes or until slightly thickened. If left in fridge too long (an hour +) it become hard. Set out on counter until soft enough to handle if needed.