So far, this is one of my family’s favorite dinners – BBQ chicken pizza! It’s super easy to make but most of all delicious. Everyone was really excited tonight when I told them what we were having for dinner. Lance said “Oh, you made this yesterday. I like it” – even though it’s been over a week since I last made it. My husband even said I needed to double the recipe and make a bigger pizza because he wanted at least 4 or 5 pieces! Needless to say, this recipe is a keeper at my house 🙂
I used organic store-bought BBQ sauce sweetened with agave nectar, but if you want to make your own try this recipe from Elana’s Pantry (sweetened with Orange Juice) or this recipe from The Pioneer Woman (use No High Fructose Corn Syrup ketchup and replace the brown sugar with coconut palm sugar).
If you’re not worried about sugar or high fructose corn syrup, my favorite store-bought barbecue sauces are Head Country (made in Oklahoma) and Sweet Bailey Ray’s. Yum!
- 1 recipe for almond flour pizza crust (see link above)
- ½ C barbecue sauce, divided
- ½ Tbsp. olive oil
- salt, to taste
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ red onion, cut in half and sliced very thin
- chopped cilantro, to taste
- prepare pizza crust as directed and make toppings while your pizza crust is rising...
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place chicken breasts in an ovenproof baking dish. Season with salt and coat both sides with your favorite BBQ sauce, reserving 2-3 Tbsp. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, or until done. Chop into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- Slice your onion in half, then quarters. Thinly slice ¼ onion. Set aside.
- Bake crust for 5 minutes, or until it feels firm to the touch.
- Drizzle on the olive oil and give the crust a good pinch or two of salt.
- Spread the reserved BBQ sauce evenly over the crust.
- Then, top sauce with the diced chicken and thinly sliced onion.
- Sprinkle again with a little salt and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until crust is nicely browned.
- Top with plenty of fresh cilantro and serve immediately.
|I know, I used 3 chicken breasts instead of 2. I was finishing off my bag of chicken 🙂|