-Please see my updated easy cream cheese frosting recipe. It has the same taste and ingredients but uses an easier method and the texture is spot on every time!!!!
Yeeeaahhh! I’ve been looking and experimenting forever trying to find a thick cream cheese frosting recipe that isn’t packed with powdered sugar, and I finally have it. But there’s no way I could have come up with this recipe if it wasn’t for Alea over at My Real Food Life and this post for dairy, soy, sugar, and dye free icing.
Her post is awesome! She gives the ratio’s and key ingredients to make almost any dairy, soy, and sugar free frosting. Good thing for me, I already had a dairy and soy free cream cheese recipe! So I combined her basic measurements along with my cream cheese recipe and voila – a recipe was born 🙂
And let me tell you: It. Is. Delicious.
Not just delicious for being free of dairy and refined sugar, but tastes like real cream cheese frosting!!! I know the ingredients seem weird for frosting… but trust me on this 🙂
*Don’t mind powdered sugar? Try this recipe.
-Frosting thickens in fridge and hardens overnight. Be patient. Allow to rest in fridge for about 30 minutes then stir and check on it every 10-20 minutes until it reaches the right consistency to pipe. I cannot give you the exact time because some people have to use more liquid than others depending on the type of mixer you own. I don’t have a high powdered blender so I have to add quite a bit of liquid to get the frosting moving so it can be processed.
-Do not omit the almond butter, it keeps the frosting from separating.
-I like mine super sweet so I always use at least 1/2 C honey.
- 1 C non-hydrogenated shortening
- ½ C raw cashews (at least no salt added), soaked in hot water 1+ hours (the longer the better)
- ¾ tsp. olive oil
- 1½ tsp lemon juice
- 1½ tsp. apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp GF vanilla
- ⅓ C agave nectar or honey, more to taste
- 2 tsp. almond butter (frosting will separate if you omit this)
- 1 pinch garlic powder, optional
- water or milk alternative, as needed to help facilitate blending
- Place all ingredients in high-powered blender except water and mix on high, scraping down bowl as necessary. Add water as needed. If you don't have a Vita-Mix, you may not be able to get the mixture completely smooth, but very close. Taste as adjust ingredients as needed.
- Refrigerate in a sealed container for at least 30 minutes to thicken and mesh flavors. That's it!!