I love this cheese sauce! –And I’m very picky about my cheese. This is the same cheese sauce I used for my mac-n-cheese, just doubled. Then I added Ro-tel and green chilies – Mmmm….
And let me re-assure you that it doesn’t taste or smell like the gross dairy free cheese product you can buy at the health food store… it actually tastes like cheese and my family gave it 2 thumbs up!
Now if I could somehow turn this recipe into a block cheese that could be shredded. Humm….
* This cheese sauce from the Detoxinista is made from potatoes and also looks delish!!!
- 2½ C raw cashews, soaked in hot water 1+ hours to overnight
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 - 3 Tbsp. chopped red pepper (adds flavor and sweetness, start with 2 Tbsp. You could probably achieve a similar flavor with about 1 tsp. chili powder or smoked paprika but I have not tested this yet)
- ¼ C olive oil or allowed butter
- 1¼ - 2 tsp. tahini (Ground sesame seeds. Looks like peanut butter and gives it a cultured taste. It's the last flavor you taste when eating cheese, I think anyways! Start with the lesser amount and add more as needed)
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- ⅛ tsp. turmeric (a spice that adds flavor and color)
- 1 Tbsp. Arrowroot Flour (or any starch)
- 2 tsp. salt, more to taste
- 2 tsp. nutritional yeast (found on the spice aisle of your local health food store, gives it a cheesy taste)
- ½ C water or as needed *UPDATE*- I now add about 1¼ C of water
- 1 14-oz can diced tomatoes with green chili's, I use Ro-tel
- 1 4-oz. can chopped green chilies, optional
- Place all ingredients except the Ro-tel and the chopped green chilies in a high-powered blender, adding water as needed to help facilitate blending and to achieve desired thickness.
- Blend on high until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Should taste like a mild Velveeta cheese.
- Place cheese sauce in a large microwave-safe bowl and stir in the Ro-tel and green chilies. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir. Repeat process until the cheese sauce is hot or heat in crock pot.
- Place plastic wrap directly on top of the cheese sauce to prevent a film from developing and keep in the refrigerator.