It seems like almost every Sunday evening we end up renting a movie and just resting. I thought caramel corn would be the perfect treat for our movie night, and boy was I right!
Most caramel corn recipes require that you bake it on low for about an hour, then cool, then serve. I don’t always plan that far ahead (especially on Sundays) so I came up with this very quick and easy method that anybody can make in a pinch for movie night. My little girl said, “Oh – this is my favoritest ever”! I agree with her and I’m certain you will too 🙂 Deeeelicious!
- ¼ C unpopped popcorn
- ¼ C Earth Balance butter
- ½ C coconut palm sugar or brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp agave nectar or honey
- ½ tsp. vanilla, gluten free
- pinch of salt
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ C peanuts, optional
- 1 brown paper bag
- scotch tape
- Place the popcorn in a brown paper bag. Fold top over a few times and tape it.
- Place in microwave folded side up and microwave 2-3 minutes, or until there are 5 seconds between pops.
- Pour popcorn into a large mixing bowl throwing out any unpopped kernels. Set aside.
- Spray a medium-sized sauce pan and wooden spoon with cooking oil. Add the butter, sugar, and agave. Heat over medium-high heat stirring constantly until mixture reaches a boil and sugar is completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add in the vanilla, peanuts, salt, and baking soda.
- Spray 2 spoons with cooking oil and slowly pour the caramel sauce over the popcorn, using the spoons to stir and coat the popcorn.
- Carefully place popcorn back into paper bag (or a new one is fine). Fold the top over and tape. Microwave another 30 seconds.
- Spread caramel corn onto a lined baking sheet to cool.