*Note-I’ve had a suspicion that my oven temperature was off for awhile now, so I bought an oven thermometer and it’s about 50 degrees hotter than it should be!!! I’ll be re-making my recipes and posting updated temperatures and times. I’m really sorry if this has caused any problems.
Warning: This cake is gluten and dairy free, but by no means healthy. If you want to make it a little bit healthier, you could make your own unrefined powdered sugar.
But man, this cake is good... and easy!
It is an extra moist, deep dark chocolate cake with a cappuccino buttercream frosting that’s served with SO Delicious dairy free chocolate ice cream, chocolate syrup, and a strawberry. The strawberry makes it healthy right?
I hope you get to make this soon because it’s a winner for sure!
- 1 Box Betty Crocker's Devil's Food Cake Mix, Gluten Free
- 3 Large Eggs
- ¼ C Veganaise (mayo) or SO Delicious Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 Tsp. Pure Vanilla
- ½ C Earth Balance Butter, Softened
- 2 Heaping Tbsp. Dark Cocoa Powder, plus more for dusting pans
- 1 C Water
- ½ C Earth Balance Butter, softened on counter at room temperature (not in microwave)
- 2 Tsp. Pure Vanilla
- ¼ C SO Delicious Coconut Milk, original (or preferred milk alternative)
- Enough Instant Coffee Granules To Make Three 6 Oz. Cups Of Coffee (I used 3 individual packets)
- 4 To 5 C Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and set out butter for frosting on counter to come to room temperature.
- Place all ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Mix about 2 minutes, or until well combined, scraping down the bowl as necessary.
- Grease 2 cake pans with shortening or cooking spray and dust with cocoa powder.
- Divide evenly among prepared pans and bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into middle of cakes comes out clean.
- Allow to cool at least 10 minutes in pan before turning out to cool completely. Or, just allow to cool completely in pans.
- Stir the instant coffee into the milk until fully dissolved.
- Place well softened butter into mixing bowl and beat until fluffy.
- Add the remaining ingredients, starting with 4 C of powdered sugar, and mix until smooth scraping down the bowl as necessary. Add more powdered sugar as needed to help thicken.
- Ice cake and refrigerate. Serve with chocolate, SO Delicious dairy free ice cream, and a strawberry. Oh. My. Goodness.