My aunt gave me some beautiful organic blueberries last week so I decided to make cupcakes with them, even though I was tempted to sit and eat all of them because I just love blueberries 🙂
I used my basic vanilla cupcake recipe adding blueberries and spices to give it a nice blueberry pancake flavor and then I used my new cream cheese recipe and maple extract to make a maple cream cheese frosting. Oh how I’ve missed cream cheese frosting!
Everyone in my family loved them (including me, I ate WAY too many). My kids kept saying “I love your delicious cupcakes mommy!” When they started using the word delicious, I don’t know. But I’m sure glad they liked them.
-You can also use my cream cheese frosting that’s soy, sugar (honey sweetened), and dairy free!!!
- ½ C Earth Balance Butter, Room Temperature
- ⅔ C Sugar or coconut palm sugar
- 3 Large Eggs, Room Temperature
- 1¼ C Blanched Almond Flour, Honeyville Brand
- ¾ C Tapioca Flour or arrowroot
- ½ Tsp. Xanthan Gum
- 1½ Tsp. Baking Powder
- ¼ Tsp. Sea Salt
- 2 Tsp. Ground Cinnamon + extra for decoration
- ½ Tsp. Nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp. Pure Vanilla
- ¼ C SO Delicious Coconut Milk
- 1 C Frozen or Fresh Blueberries + extra for decoration (if using frozen, mix berries with 1 Tbsp arrowroot before adding to batter)
- ½ C Earth Balance Butter, Room Temperature (not in microwave)
- 8 oz. Dairy Free Cream Cheese (3/4 recipe, see link above), room temperature
- 2 Tsp. Maple Extract (you can sub 1 T maple syrup but it won't taste as strong)
- 4 C Powdered Sugar*
- SO Delicious Coconut Milk, If Needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Set out the cream cheese, eggs, and butter for the cupcakes and frosting so they will come to room temperature.
- Whisk together all of the dry ingredients except the sugar.
- Beat together the butter and sugar on high until well combined.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the bowl as necessary.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients and the milk until well combined. Then, fold in the blueberries.
- Line a muffin tin with baking cups and fill each cup ⅔ full.
- Bake 17 - 20 minutes. Allow to sit in pan 2 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely. (They really need to cool completely to finish setting up)
- Beat together the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add in the maple extract, powdered sugar, and milk if needed to thin.
- Ice cupcakes and garnish with cinnamon and a blueberry. Enjoy!
This post is part of Slightly Indulgent Tuesday