I know I already have a good dairy free cream cheese recipe using cashews, but after I made my easy peasy sour cream made from yogurt I really wanted to make an easier (and cheaper) cream cheese the same way. At first, I had a bit of trouble getting the same thickness and texture as the small block of Philadelphia cream cheese I was trying to mimic… that is until I remembered the agar powder I had in my pantry from a failed cheddar cheese recipe a few months back. Agar powder is a natural thickener made from sea weed that’s very similar to gelatin and it worked perfectly!
So far I’ve used this cream cheese in my chicken enchilada recipe and I also used it to make a maple cream cheese frosting (recipe soon to come) – it was so good!
I think you could even play with flavors by adding different herbs or preserves to make a strawberry or blueberry cream cheese. Yup, I’m definitely trying that!
- 2 6 oz. Containers SO Delicious Vanilla Coconut Milk Yogurt, Greek Style
- ½ Tsp. Minced Garlic
- ¼ Tsp. Salt
- ¼ Tsp. Onion Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar or Honey (more if you don’t use the vanilla flavor)
- 1 Tbsp. SO Delicious Coconut Creamer Or Milk Alternative (optional but gives a more neutral flavor)
- ¼ Tsp. Lemon Juice
- 1½ Tsp. Agar Powder*
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt over the minced garlic. Use the back of a spoon or knife to mix them together and make a paste.
- In a small bowl, mix together the yogurt, garlic paste, onion powder, coconut creamer, lemon juice, and sugar. Taste and adjust ingredients as needed.
- In a small saucepan, mix together the yogurt mixture with the agar until completely incorporated.
- Then, turn the burner to medium and slowly bring to a boil.
- Reduce to low and allow to simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a plastic container. Cover and refrigerate 2-3 hours, or until firm.