*While I still like these brownies, HERE is my updated dense and fudgy brownie recipe that I make all the time and is my new favorite.
I certainly have nothing against buying a gluten free brownie mix from Wal-Mart, but I wanted a brownie recipe that was just as easy and tasty using ingredients that I always have on hand. Now I can make delicious and decadent brownies for that late-night chocolate fix or last minute company without having to run to the store.
I adapted this recipe from Bon Appetit where these brownies were given the title “Best-Ever Brownies” and I have to agree! Here’s the review from Bon Appetit: “These are some of the best brownies we’ve ever had—fudgy in the middle and chewy on the outside with a shiny, crackly top. The browned butter adds a rich, nutty flavor.” I just made a few simple substitutions to make them gluten and dairy free and they turned out just like the review from Bon Appetit. Fudgy, chewy, rich, and nutty!
I personally thought the Earth Balance butter tasted better just melted without being browned and it still resulted in a rich, nutty flavor. Even though you can certainly brown your butter if that kind of thing makes you happy 🙂
- ⅓ C Earth Balance Butter, melted
- 4 Tbsp Applesauce (or additional 4 Tbsp. melted butter)
- 1⅓ C Sugar or Coconut Palm Sugar
- ¾ C Cocoa Powder
- ¼ Tsp. Salt
- 2 Tsp. Vanilla Extract, gluten free
- 2 Large Eggs
- ⅓ C Blanched Almond Flour, I Use Honeyville Brand
- 1 Tbsp. Arrowroot Flour
- ½ C Chopped Walnuts (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. Chocolate Chips, dairy free (optional)
- Place your oven rack in the bottom ⅓ of your oven. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line an 8 x 8 inch pan with aluminum foil leaving a 2 inch overlay and spray with cooking oil.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat
- Remove from heat. Stir in applesauce, sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, and salt. Allow to sit 5 minutes to cool off... you don't want the eggs to cook when you add them 🙂
- Add eggs one at a time mixing well after each addition.
- When mixture is thick and shiny and the flour and mix well. Stir in nuts (if using).
- Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle the top with chocolate chips.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out almost clean. Cool in pan on rack. Store in airtight container at room temperature.