This is a great appetizer to serve to guests because it just looks so pretty – oh yeah, and it tastes GREAT! It’s super easy to make but it looks and tastes very impressive.
I made this allergy friendly cream cheese ball (pictured above) at the same time I made a casein-filled Philadelphia cream cheese version for my sister’s bridal shower. Honestly, we could barely tell the difference.
The “real” cream cheese ball did have a little bit more of a smoother taste with some stronger onion and garlic flavors, but it was very, very close. Next time I will just add some more garlic and onion to my cream cheese recipe. This is definitely a keeper 🙂
*Here is my Cream Cheese Recipe
Adapted from Chef In Training
- 1 Cream Cheese Recipe (see link above)
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh Chives
- 2 Tbsp. Powdered Sugar**
- ½ C Crushed Pineapples, well drained
- 2 Tbsp. Chopped Ham (I buy nitrate free ham), optional
- 1 Cup Chopped Pecans
- Glutino Gluten Free Crackers
- Prepare cream cheese as directed.
- In a large bowl, mash all ingredients except chopped pecans.
- Form into ball and cover with chopped pecans. I think the easiest way to do this is to place the pecans in a large mixing bowl, then add cheese and form into ball as you cover the outside with pecans, then transfer to serving dish (it's pretty messy).
- Serve with Glutino gluten free crackers.
- Impress people with your fancy shmancy cream cheese ball.