We are always looking for on-the-go snacks or granola bars and one of our favorite snacks are the Pamela’s brand Whenever Bars. I wanted to make my own copycat recipe because if we run out I’m not always able to run to the health food store, plus they cost about $5.00 for a box of 6 bars!
These are soft, chewy, moist, and I think they taste just like the real thing. They even look like the real thing. See!
Can you tell which one is the Pamela’s brand and which one is the Cassidy’s brand? Mine is on the right and I promise, the one on the left is an actual Pamela’s Whenever Bar… not just 2 of mine I sat side by side 🙂
This is a basic Whenever Bar recipe, I just chose to use blueberries and almonds. But you can use any add-ins you’d like… chocolate chips, nuts, coconut (maybe use coconut oil instead of shortening… humm, I’ll have to try that!) various dried fruits, etc. I didn’t have any dried blueberries so I used frozen. If you use frozen, like me, mix in 1 Tbsp of arrowroot or cornstarch per cup. If you use dried fruit, soak in hot water until plump then drain and pat dry before use. If you add nuts you should toast them on 350 for a few minutes or until fragrant before adding them to the batter. The recipe below is for a copycat Oat Blueberry Lemon Bar.
pin for later:
Here is the recipe:
- 2 C blanched almond flour, Honeyville brand
- ½ C tapioca or arrowroot flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. xanthan gum (I'm going to experiment with using psyllium husks instead... I'll keep you posted)
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ tsp. lemon juice
- ½ C Spectrum non-hydrogenated shortening (coconut oil or room temperature Earth Balance butter may work)
- ½ C agave nectar or honey
- ¾ C coconut palm sugar or brown sugar, Whenever bars are quite sweet-reduce to ½ C if desired
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
- 1 egg (a "flax egg" may work)
- 1½ C gluten free quick cooking oats
- 1 C Frozen Blueberries (or any add-in desired)
- ½ C Sliced Almonds (or any add-in desired)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, prepare the fruit. If frozen, mix in 1 Tbsp. arrowroot or cornstarch. If dried, soak in warm water and set aside. Drain and pat dry before adding fruit to batter.
- Place almonds on a large cookie sheet and toast several minutes (about 5) until fragrant. Set aside
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the shortening and palm sugar until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, agave or honey, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- Add the egg mixture to the sugar/shortening mixture, and beat to thoroughly combine.
- In another separate bowl, combine the almond flour, tapioca, cinnamon, nutmeg, soda, oats, xanthan gum, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture and stir until well combined.
- Fold in the blueberries and almonds.
- On a well greased or parchment lined baking sheet, form batter into small rectangles and place at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake 9-12 minutes, or until browned.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
Here are some of my picts 🙂