I’ve been working on cinnamon roll cupcakes for quite awhile now. I’ve tried many variations, but this one is definitely the best.
In most cinnamon roll cupcake recipes they just sprinkle a cinnamon sugar mixture into the batter, but I like this recipe because it adds softened butter to the cinnamon sugar mixture to give it more of an authentic flavor (cinnamon rolls are drenched with butter!) and just a bit of arrowroot to make up for the extra moisture.
Then I topped it with cream cheese frosting. SO GOOD! A cinnamon roll without all the work 🙂
Here’s the link to my Cream Cheese Frosting!
- ½ C Earth Balance Butter, room temperature
- ⅔ C Granulated Sugar, I use coconut palm sugar
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1¼ C Blanched Almond Flour, Honeyville Brand
- ¾ C Arrowroot Flour
- ½ Tsp. Xanthan Gum
- 1½ Tsp. Grain Free Baking Powder
- ¼ Tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Pure Vanilla
- ¼ C SO Delicious Coconut Milk, or preferred milk alternative
- ¼ C Earth Balance Butter (or Earth Balance Coconut Spread For Grain Free), softened
- ½ Coconut Palm Sugar or Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Arrowroot Flour
- ½ Tbsp. Ground Cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and set out butter for batter so it comes to room temperature.
- Whisk together the almond flour, arrowroot, xanthan gum, sea salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar.
- Then, add the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl as necessary.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients, vanilla, and milk, scraping down the bowl as necessary. Beat until well combined and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together all of the filling ingredients until well combined with a fork.
- Line a muffin tin with paper cups or spray with cooking oil, then fill each cup half full. (I got mine too full)
- Evenly divide cinnamon/butter mixture into each cup, about 1 heaping tsp.
- Use a knife to swirl and fully incorporate the cinnamon mixture into the batter.
- Evenly divide the remaining batter on top of the cinnamon mixture.
- Bake 17 - 20 minutes, or until nicely browned.
- Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.