In an effort to move away from canned foods I started buying fresh green beans! ~gasp~ I always thought canned was easier, faster, and tasted just as good. I was so wrong!!!
I don’t know why in the world I’ve waited so long to make fresh green beans, they are soooo much better than canned and aren’t hard at all!! It practically starts an all out brawl at my house when the green beans are almost gone and the kids start fighting over who gets the last of them!
Now that I’ve made fresh green beans I can never go back – this is now my official go-to green bean recipe.
It’s super easy… just trim off the ends.
Steam the grean beans.
Sautee an onion, lots of garlic, and 1/2 a bell pepper.
Toss is all together and your done, easy, right!
Here’s the handy printable:
- 1 Lb. Green Beans (rough estimate, 4 or 5 big 'ol handfuls!)
- 2 -3 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 Tsp. Minced Garlic
- 1 Medium Onion
- ½ Red Bell Pepper, optional
- ½ Tsp. Salt
- Pepper to taste
- Trim ends off the ends of the green beans and finely chop the onion and bell pepper. Set aside.
- Place about 2 inches of water in a pot fitted with a steamer attachment. Bring to boil. Add green beans to steamer attachment, and cook, covered (I did cover my green beans even thought it doesn't look like it in the picture!) for 15 minutes or until desired tenderness... many people like their green beans crisp-tender, about 5 minutes but we like ours really soft 🙂
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a small skillet. Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook until onions are tender and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- When green beans are done transfer to a bowl. Add in the onion mixture, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat and serve.