No bake cookies are my go-to recipe when I want something that’s easy, rich, and very chocolate-y. When I have a long day, a dirty house, and am just flat exhausted I always tend to make no bake cookies and then end up on the couch licking the pan while I watch TV! Pretty much when my husband sees me making no-bake cookies he knows he’s putting the kids to bed that night 🙂
This is the same recipe I always use but this time I made just a few adjustments so they would be grain free. And while we are not 100% grain free, when I cook I have complete control over the ingredients and I prefer my recipes to be not only gluten and dairy free but also grain, soy, and refined sugar free. Then I don’t feel so bad after licking every last bit of chocolate then eating a whole bunch of cookies right before bed!
On a more personal note, many people have been asking me how my son has been doing. Over the coarse of a week and a half he had 2 seizures, lots of tests, and lots of doctors appointments. He ended up just getting a general diagnosis of epilepsy and he is now on seizure medication. He has been on the medication for 10 days now and so far he hasn’t had any more seizures!!! We don’t know what’s causing the seizures but I was surprised to learn that up to 40% of children in the autism spectrum have or develop epilepsy! I knew epilepsy went along with autism but I had no idea it could develop at the onset of adolescence. I thought that since he didn’t have seizures as an infant and since his autism is mild that we would never have to deal with it… I was obviously wrong.
He still sleeps in our room every night because we haven’t worked up to his full dose of medication yet and are still very worried. And while we are still dealing with his worsened autism and are now homeschooling him, things have calmed down considerably and are starting to get back to normal.
Thank you for all of your concern and nice e-mails 🙂
pin for later:
- 1 C Coconut Palm Sugar
- 1½ Tbsp. Cocoa Powder
- ¼ C Refined Coconut Oil or Dairy Free Butter
- ¼ C Milk Substitute (I used almond milk)
- ¼ C Crunchy Peanut Butter (crunchy almond butter for paleo)
- ½ Tsp. Vanilla
- ¾ C Soaked Cashews
- 1 C Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- Prepare the cashews: Soak in hot water for 30+ minutes. Drain. Then transfer to a food processor and process until finely shopped. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, mix together the sugar, cocoa powder, coconut oil, and milk. Bring to boil and boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the vanilla and peanut butter. Mix until the peanut butter is completely melted. Then, add chopped cashews and coconut. Mix well.
- Drop spoonfuls of batter onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Transfer to refrigerator until set (a few hours).
- Store in airtight baggie or container in the fridge.