You would think that since I have a good base recipe that transforming it into a tasty strawberry cupcake would be no biggie. Nope! I was confident they would turn out perfect the first try but over the past couple of months I ended up making them 3 times before I felt they were post-worthy
These have a strong strawberry flavor throughout because I added a whole package of natural strawberry gelatin and pureed strawberries (so there weren’t huge strawberries chunks in my cupcakes). Then I topped it with strawberry cream cheese frosting. O.M.G. Most awesome recipe EVER!!!
Start by whisking all of the dry ingredients and set aside. See the ingredient list on my natural strawberry jello!?!
Then very finely chop/puree about 8 oz. hulled strawberries in a food processor. Measure out 1/2 C and mix with some arrowroot flour. Set that aside also.
Then beat together the wet ingredients, mix it all together, and bake! …So Delicious!
Allow to cool, then top with Strawberry Cream Cheese!!!!!!
~Please see my updated cream cheese frosting recipe~
*For the frosting all I did was add 1/4 C pureed strawberries to my cream cheese frosting recipe. It wasn’t enough to turn them a pretty pink. Next time I will experiment with adding more strawberries until it’s a beautiful color. You can also use my White Fluffy Frosting that tastes like marshmallow fluff, YUM!
Note- I slightly revised this recipe since it’s original post.
Here is a grain free baking powder recipe
- 1½ C Blanched Almond Flour, Honeyville brand
- ¾ C + 2 Tbsp. Arrowroot Flour, divided
- ¼ Tsp. Salt
- 1½ Tsp. Grain Free Baking Powder (see link above)
- 3 oz. Strawberry Gelatin (see link above)
- ½ C Honey
- 5 Whole Eggs, room temperature
- 2 Tbsp. Refined Coconut Oil, melted
- 1 Tbsp. Vanilla
- ¼ Tsp. Liquid Vanilla Stevia (optional)
- 2 Tsp. Lemon Juice
- ½ C Very Finely Chopped/Pureed Strawberries
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line a muffin tin with baking cups and set aside.
- Whisk together the almond flour, ¾ C arrowroot, salt, baking powder, and strawberry gelatin. Set aside.
- Hull about 4-6 oz. of strawberries and place in the bowl of a food processor. Process until very, very finely chopped, almost pureed. Measure out ½ C and place into a bowl. Stir in 2 Tbsp of arrowroot and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, the honey, eggs, oil, vanilla, stevia, and lemon juice. Beat on high for about 1 minute or until eggs are frothy.
- Slowly beat in the dry ingredients until well combined, then stir in the chopped strawberries.
- Evenly divide batter into each muffin tin. Bake for 17 – 20 minutes or until nicely browned and they spring back to the touch.
- Cool completely then frost (see Helpful Hints For Frosting above). I used my cream cheese frosting with ¼ C pureed strawberries. Freeze dried strawberries would probably also work.