Every summer my parents make homemade pina colada ice cream outside by the pool during family get-togethers and cookouts. Their recipe is absolutely THE BEST!!!! I realize I should be saying that about my recipe, but I have to admit that theirs takes the cake (or the ice cream???). But it’s no wonder that their ice cream is good because just look at the ingredient list: sweetened evaporated milk, whipping cream, 2 Cups of sugar, instant vanilla pudding, crushed pineapple, milk, coconut and vanilla extract. What!?! How can I compete with that?
But I did compete and I think I came up with a very close second. The texture is spot on with a strong pina colada flavor. And while I’m very happy with my recipe, it’s still not quite as sweet as my parents. So after you blend the recipe, taste it. If it’s not sweet enough for you I would recommend adding some pitted and soaked dates to taste.
So here’s my vegan pina colada ice cream recipe to enjoy on the hot summer days to come:
- 1½ Cups Coconut Cream (*See Above)
- 1 C Honey or Maple Syrup
- ½ Tsp. Guar Gum (optional but gives ice cream a good texture)
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla
- 20 Oz. Pineapple Chunks, fresh or canned (about 1½ C, divided)
- Reserve ¼ Cup of the pineapple chunks. Place all remaining ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour in the remaining pineapple chunks and briefly blend, until desired consistency.
- Place in shallow, covered container and freeze up to one hour or place in the fridge until cold (I sometimes skip this step and just process the ice cream longer),
- Add to ice cream machine and process according to manufacturers directions.
- Eat right away or freeze until hard for pretty scoops.
Looking for more great ice cream recipes? I have some great looking ones on my “Recipes To Try” Pinterest board 🙂