It’s finally summer here and I am so excited to start cooking with all the beautiful fresh produce that comes along with summer!
I am totally obsessed with this salad. I first had it a few weeks ago at Braum’s -something else I’m currently totally obsessed with- and I couldn’t wait to make my own version. Its light, fresh, healthy, slightly sweet, and totally delicious!
To make the salad you’ll start by preparing the fruit. Rinse the blueberries, hull and slice some strawberries, and chop up a pineapple. I don’t know if this is the correct way to chop a pineapple, but this is how I do it and it seems to work pretty good:
1) Chop off the top.
2) Chop it in half lengthwise.
3) Then cut each half again lengthwise.
4) Slice it across…
5) then lengthwise.
6) Now stand it upright and slice down, discarding the skin. Repeat with remaining 3 pieces.
Now that the fruit is prepared: wash, dry, and chop up some lettuce. OR just buy already prepared in a bag
I also used this bag of spinach and kale for some lettuce variety.
Now that all the salad ingredients are prepared its time make the chicken:
Place the chicken in a resealable baggie (I was out so I just used a produce bag!) and pound the chicken with the smooth side of a meat tenderizer or with a heavy skillet util it’s between 1/4 and 1/2 inch thick. Don’t skip this step, it’s very important! You can use this time to get out all of your aggression
Season each piece of chicken liberally with salt and pepper. This salad has so much going on it doesn’t need more than salt and pepper
Now cook over medium to medium-high heat until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
Then slice up the chicken….
And finally…. whisk together the dressing ingredients, set out everything to make your salads, and assemble! YUM-E!
Here’s the fun printable
- 6 Cups Romaine or Ice-burg Lettuce
- 2 Cups Spinach, Kale, or Mix
- 1 Pint Strawberries, Hulled and Sliced
- 1 C Blueberries
- 1 C Pineapple, Chopped
- ½ C Nuts (Sunflower Seeds, Walnuts, Almonds, Etc.)
- 3 -4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- ¾ C Veganaise (vegan mayo)
- ¾ C Honey
- 2 Tbsp. Prepared Yellow Mustard
- 1 Tbsp. Poppyseeds
- Drizzle of GF Worcestershire Sauce, optional
- Start by preparing the fruit: Wash the blueberries and set aside. Then wash, hull, and slice the strawberries and chop up the pineapple and set aside.
- Prepare the lettuce: Wash, dry, and tear the lettuce into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Place the chicken in a resealable baggie and, using a heavy skillet or the smooth side of meat tenderizer, pound the chicken until it’s between ¼ inch and ½ inch thick. Season both sides of the meat liberally with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet between medium and medium-high heat and add the olive oil.
- Place the chicken in the pre-heated skillet and cook on both sides about 5 minutes or until cooked through.
- Slice or shred the chicken.
- Arrange greens on serving dishes and top with strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, nuts, and shredded chicken. Drizzle with sweet poppyseed dressing and serve
- Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients. Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.