I finally found it – the perfect vanilla frosting!!! I’ve made many vanilla frostings over the past few years that I’ve been happy with, but this is the frosting I’ve been dreaming of – it’s the whole kit and caboodle
This recipe is based off of my cream cheese frosting which uses shortening as a base, is sweetened with honey, and has a small amount of almond butter to make it creamy, more dairy-like, and give it depth of flavor. But instead of using 1 C of non-hydrogenated shortening, I used 1/2 C shortening and 1/2 C Earth Balance butter to give more of a buttery taste – something I do often when making my cream cheese frosting just to mix things up a bit.
I was still in the process of perfecting my frosting when I happen to run across Elana Amsterdam’s new book Gluten Free Cupcakes while at my local health food store. I’ve wanted her book for some time but when I ordered it from Amazon it got lost in the mail, so I was SO excited to find it at my health food store As I was looking through it, I was amazed at her frosting recipe – it was almost the exact same recipe I had been working on!!!
So after some inspiration from Elana to mix my frosting with a handheld mixer and not use a blender (like my cream cheese recipe), it fixed all of the texture issues I had. Makes me want to try my cream cheese frosting with a handheld blender… hummm, maybe if I use cashew butter instead of whole cashews I could make it work???
Anyways… here is the recipe. I KNOW you will be so happy you made this
*In my more recent frostings, I add a Tbsp. or 2 of Refined Coconut Oil (solidified), it adds some thickness and substance to the frosting. I haven’t tested it in this recipe yet, but I will let you know the results when I do!
- ½ C Non-Hydrogenated Shortening
- ½ C Earth Balance Butter (for grain free, try Earth Balance Coconut Spread)
- ¾ C Honey
- 1 Tbsp. Pure Vanilla
- Scant ½ Tsp. Almond Butter
- 1 or 2 Drops Vanilla Stevia, optional
- Refined Coconut Oil, if needed
- Blend all ingredients on low for about 30 seconds or until well combined.
- Turn speed to medium-high and blend until creamy and smooth.
- Place in refrigerator 10 to 20 minutes to firm up if needed. Also, you can add solidified, refined coconut oil 1 Tbsp. at a time to thicken as needed.