This dish is not only super easy, but it turns out juicy and flavorful every time! This chicken is anything but boring and is perfect to make this time of year since you can find lots of fresh, homegrown tomatoes!
Start by marinating the chicken for at least 30 minutes. The marinade is super easy: olive or grapeseed oil, chopped onion, cilantro, salt, pepper, and fresh lime juice! Mix it up and throw into a resealable baggie with the chicken.
You can use legs or thighs, white meat or dark meat. I prefer thighs, I’m a thigh girl But please whatever you do, don’t use boneless, skinless chicken. We need the bones and skin to make it super tender and delicious!
Now, place them on a broiler pan so the grease can drain. Sprinkle it with salt and bake it for 45 minutes at 400 degrees.
While the chicken is baking, mix together all of the yummy salsa ingredients: tomatoes, avocado, fresh lime juice, salt, cilantro, and onion. Place it in the fridge until you’re ready to use it so all the flavors magically blend.
And now that the chicken is nicely browned and cooked through, just top it with the tomato and avocado salsa and serve! I usually serve mine with cauliflower rice, super easy and tasty!!!
Here’s the handy printable:
- 4 – 6 Bone-In Skin On Chicken Pieces
- 6 Tbsp. Grapeseed Oil, or any mild flavored oil
- ¼ C Chopped Cilantro, heaping
- ½ Tsp. Salt
- ¼ Tsp. Ground Red Pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice
- ¼ Tsp. Pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Chopped Onion
- ¾ C Tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tsp. Fresh Lime Juice
- Salt, to taste
- ½ Avacado, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Red Onion, finely chopped
- In a bowl, mix together all of the marinade ingredients, the oil, cilantro, red pepper, lime juice, pepper, and onion.
- Place chicken in a resealable plastic baggie along with the marinade. Seal and toss to evenly coat chicken.
- Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- While the chicken is marinading, place all of the salsa ingredients into a container with a lid. Toss to combine.
- Place covered in the fridge until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Use tongs to transfer chicken to a broiler pan. Sprinkle with salt, and bake 45 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
- To serve, place chicken on a plate and spoon some of the tomato and avocado salsa over the top.