I haven’t been spending much time in the kitchen this summer, but since I had so much fresh zucchini I decided to whip up these secretly healthy chocolate chip zucchini muffins. I didn’t tell my kiddos how healthy they were or that they had zucchini in them, I just called them chocolate chip muffins and they went crazy over them 🙂
We enjoyed these muffins with breakfast and for afternoon snacks but they would also be great with some cream cheese frosting spread on top for dessert. I had every intention of doing this but they were gone before I could get the frosting made!
Besides tasting awesome and being secretly healthy, they’re also super simple to make.
…You start by whisking all of the dry ingredients in a bowl until it looks like one lovely flour and set it aside.
Then, using either a food processor or a hand grater, grate 1 C of zucchini (about 1 medium zucchini) and set that aside also. I used the grater attachment and the ‘S’ blade of my food processor to get a fine grate, but I had to take the grater attachment off to get a good picture… just in case you were wondering 🙂
In another very large bowl whisk together the eggs, vanilla, and maple syrup.
Then, stir the dry ingredients into the wet, then add the melted coconut oil. I don’t add the coconut oil to the wet ingredients because I don’t want to cold eggs to solidify the oil.
Then, stir in the grated zucchini and chocolate chips. Do you like my baby bugs bunny spoon I stirred my batter with? 🙂
Evenly divide the batter between the 12 baking cups, about 1/3 C of batter per cup.
Bake at 350 degrees for 17 – 20 minutes. Then cool and enjoy 🙂
Pin for later:
- 2 C Blanched Almond Flour, Honeyville Brand
- ⅔ C Arrowroot Flour (Tapioca Flour *MAY* Work)
- ½ tsp. Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Grain Free Baking Powder
- 2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. Ground Nutmeg
- 4 Whole Eggs
- ⅓ C + 1 Tbsp. Maple Syrup
- ¼ C Refined Coconut Oil, melted
- 1 tsp. Pure Vanilla
- 1 C Grated Zucchini
- ½ C Non-Dairy Mini Chocolate Chips or Allowed Chocolate (I use Enjoy Life brand)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin tin with 12 baking cups.
- In a bowl, whisk together the almond flour, arrowroot, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Using a food processor or hand grater, finely grate the zucchini (about 1 zucchini) and set aside.
- In another very large bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla, and maple syrup.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet. Then, melt the coconut oil, measure out ¼ C, and stir into the batter also.
- Stir in the zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Evenly divide the batter between the baking cups.
- Bake 17 - 20 minutes or until nicely browned. Cool before serving.
this post is part of Fat Tuesday Allergy Free Wednesday, Gluten Free Wednesday, Gluten Free Fridays, & Gluten Free & DIY Tuesdays