Today I’m sharing an apple crisp recipe from Chrystal Carver’s new book, “Sweet & Simple Gluten-Free Baking – Irresistible Classics In 10 Ingredients or Less!” But before I get to the recipe, let me tell you a little bit about Chrystal Carver and her new book 🙂
Chrystal Carver has 2 children who are gluten intolerant and blogs over at Gluten Free Palate. After spending lots of money of on packaged gluten free foods that didn’t even taste that good, she decided to make her own recipes. And from there came her blog and her cookbook!
In her book, she gives you an option of 2 different gluten free flour blends (one rice based and one bean based) to use in her classic recipes and every recipe uses 10 ingredients or less – YAY!!! While her recipes aren’t Paleo, they look very easy and totally delicious! Additionally, every recipe has a beautiful, full page picture, the nutritional breakdown, and substitution notes.
I got the chance to make her apple crisp recipe and we LOVED it!!! I did substitute the 1/2 C of her all-purpose flour with 1/3 C of arrowroot and 3 Tbsp. of Blanched Almond flour and used coconut palm sugar instead of brown sugar and it still turned out perfect 🙂
Other recipes in her book include:
Fruit Filled Oatmeal Squares
Mini Pumpkin Cheesecakes
White Chocolate Macadamia Cookies and much, much more!
In addition to sharing her apple crisp recipe I’m also giving away a free copy of her book! To enter, just leave a comment telling me what your favorite dessert is. For an additional entry, follow me on Facebook or Pinterest and leave another comment telling me that you follow me there as well. The giveaway will close on Sunday, November 2nd at 12 pm central time.
- 4 Medium Granny Smith Apples, cored, peeled, and sliced
- ¾ Cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ C All-Purpose Gluten Free Flour Blend*
- ½ C Gluten Free Quick Oats
- 1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
- ⅓ C Butter, Softened (dairy free can be substituted)
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Whipped Cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Position the oven rack in center of oven. Lightly spray or grease an 8x8x2" square pan.
- Spread apple slices evenly on bottom of the pan. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, oats, cinnamon, and nutmeg. With a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Evenly sprinkle the topping over the apples.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown and apples are tender when pierced with a fork. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Store at room temperature.
this post is part of Gluten Free Wednesdays & Allergy Free Wednesdays