At first glance you may be thinking, “This is not a Paleo recipe, it has marshmallows on top!” ….But wait! I have you covered 🙂 While you are right, I used traditional marshmallows for the picture above, my blogger friend Megan over at Allergy Free Alaska recently posted an amazing looking marshmallow recipe that’s corn free and made with coconut sugar! I had every intention of making them for this recipe but simply ran out of time. However, they look amazing and I WILL be making them in the near future!
And if making homemade marshmallows isn’t your thing, I also have a really yummy Paleo Pecan Streussel Topping you can use. See – I told you I have you covered 🙂
And as for the filling, well… I made it super creamy with the use of full fat canned coconut milk (don’t worry, you can’t taste the coconut!), lightly sweetened it with orange juice and coconut palm sugar, and seasoned it with cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, salt, and pepper. All of that, AND it’s egg free – YAY!!!
So here’s the recipe:
- 4 Large or 5 Small Sweet Potatoes
- ½ C Orange Juice
- ½ C Full-Fat Canned Coconut Milk, well shaken
- ¼ C Coconut Palm Sugar + more to taste
- ¼ C Refined Coconut Oil, melted
- 2 tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- ¾ tsp. Ground Nutmeg
- ½ tsp. Pure Vanilla
- 1 C Whole Raw Pecans
- ¾ C Blanched Almond Flour
- ½ tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. Honey
- 2 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. Refined Coconut Oil, Solidified
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash and pierce each potato several times with a sharp knife about 1 inch deep.
- Place on a lined baking sheet and bake for 1 hour or until you can easily insert a knife into the center of the sweet potato. Allow to cool enough to handle.
- Then, scoop out sweet potato meat from the skins and place into the mixing bowl of a stand mixer (if you don't have a stand mixer, you can use a food processor or beat with a hand held mixer).
- Add all of the remaining ingredients and beat with a paddle attachment.
- Transfer to a medium-sized baking dish and evenly sprinkle on the pecan streussel topping (directions below) or with an even layer of homemade marshmallows (link above).
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Add the almond flour and pecans to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the "S" blade. Process until the mixture resembles sand.
- Add the remaining ingredients and process until well combined.