Strict Key Lime Pie lovers: Do not read any further.
For everyone else: Let’s make a Key Lime Pie using regular limes!
I couldn’t find key limes but I am still calling this a Key Lime Pie. It’s delicious and it tastes like a Key Lime Pie to me.
I have to say that I have been a little obsessed with perfecting my Key Lime Pie recipe. I already have a Key Lime Pie recipe, but it requires whisking over the stove for 30 minutes, then straining the filling in case the eggs curdle– something I’m not really into. I was determined to make an easy Key Lime Pie recipe without compromising on taste.
And guess what? I’m determined. Very determined. And Hooorray I did it!!!!
So here it is. My tasty but so very easy dairy free Key Lime Pie recipe:
*Note– If you are grain free, use this nut based crust recipe or my pie crust recipe and add 1 tsp. cinnamon and 1/4 tsp. nutmeg. Here are the links to my coconut whipped cream and dairy free cool whip (pictured).
- 1½ C Kinnikinnick Graham Style Crumbs
- ¼ C Granulated Sugar
- 6 Tbsp. Earth Balance Butter, melted
- 6 eggs
- ½ C fresh lime juice (please don't use the reconstitued stuff, it's not the same!)
- zest of 1 lime
- ¾ C agave nectar or honey
- 1½ Tbsp. arrowroot flour or cornstarch
- In a large bowl, combine all the crust ingredients. Then, press into a greased 8 or 9 in. deep pie pan and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor, add the eggs and give them a good swirl to break up the yolks.
- Holding a microplane zester upside down, get off all of that yummy zest and dump into the food processor.
- Over a glass measuring cup, juice the limes. I used 4 limes. Pour lime juice and all remaining ingredients into food processor and mix well.
- Pour filling into set pie crust. See those bubbles? Use a spoon or your hand to kind of smooth out the top to break up the bubbles so your pie will be smooth.
- Bake for 20- 25 minutes, or until filling is no longer jiggly.
- Fair Warning: It's not the prettiest pie when it first comes out of the oven, but patience my dear... patience 🙂
- Cool, then place uncovered in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Decorate and make pretty with dairy free whipped cream or coconut cream (see link above). Garnish with lime zest.