Wow – it seems like forever since I’ve posted anything or even been in the kitchen! We’ve been plagued with sickness this past week… and earthquakes… and tornadoes… crazy things are happening I tell you! Crazy things.
What was I talking about? Oh yeah, chicken pot pie 🙂
This is one of my family’s favorite comfort meals – it has a creamy, savory filling and flaky crust. And it’s not as hard to make as you might imagine. To make dinnertime a bit easier, I like to make my my pie crust whenever I have a little extra time and let it sit in the fridge until I’m ready to use it, plus I almost always have boiled chicken in the fridge for salads and recipes. So if you already have the pie crust and some cooked chicken in your fridge, you can have dinner on the table within 45 minutes – baking and all!!! Plus, my Paleo Pie Crust can also easily be made egg free by using a gelatin egg – YAY!!! So prepare to be comforted 🙂
*Click here for my pie crust recipe
- 1 gluten free pie crust recipe (link above)
- 3 stalks celery
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 medium yellow onion
- ½ C frozen peas
- 4 Tbsp. refined coconut oil
- 2 C cooked shredded chicken (I boil bone in chicken for about 30 minutes or until cooked through, then de-bone it)
- 1 C chicken broth
- 1 C non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- black pepper to taste
- up to 1 tsp. ground thyme
- 2 Tbsp. tapioca flour (arrowroot will work, but tends to loose it's thickening power when exposed to prolonged heat)
- 2 Tbsp. cold water
- Prepare the pie crust according to directions and place in fridge until ready to use.
- Place the chicken in a large stockpot and cover with water. Bring to boil and cook until the chicken until cooked through, about 30 to 45 minutes. Then remove the chicken from the bones when cool enough to handle, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Start by finely cutting up the celery, carrots, and onion.
- In a large pan, melt the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the celery, carrot, onion, and peas. Saute about 5 minutes, or until veggies start to turn translucent.
- Add the chicken, milk, chicken broth, salt, pepper, and thyme. Taste and adjust seasonings. Bring to boil.
- In a small bowl, mix together the tapioca flour and cold water. Pour into boiling pot pie filling and stir until thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Pour into pie pan.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the pie crust between two pieces of parchment paper and roll out from the center using a rolling pin. Invert over the pot pie and gently press into the sides of the dish to seal
- Brush the top with non-dairy milk (optional). Bake for 20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Use a large spoon to serve.