If you haven’t figured it out already, we love sweet potatoes! And smashed sweet potatoes are no exception! Every time my sister comes over to eat she requests that I make my smashed sweet potatoes because she thinks they’re the best she’s ever had!
Some people don’t know what to use as a replacement for cream or half and half when making mashed potatoes, but I’ve found that the SO Delicious coconut creamer works perfect! It makes the potatoes creamy and moist and leaves absolutely no taste of coconut because it has a very neutral flavor.
I have 2 versions for my sweet potatoes: a sweet version made with apple butter and a sweet and spicy version made with adobo juice. My sister prefers the sweet and spicy but I have such a sweet tooth I think I prefer the sweet version.
*I recently tried this recipe from Ina Gardner (basically uses Orange Juice instead of apple butter) and it was also delicious!!!!
Smashed Sweet Potatoes
- 5 medium or 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1/3 C + 1 Tbsp Earth Balance butter or Earth Balance coconut spread
- 1/3 C + 2 Tbsp. brown sugar or coconut palm sugar
- 1/3 C + 1 Tbsp. SO Delicious coconut creamer original
- 3 Tbsp. spiced apple butter more to taste
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- toasted almonds or pecans optional for garnish
Variation For Sweet And Spicy:
- 1-2 tsp. adobe juice to taste (from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo juice found on the Mexican aisle)
- omit the apple butter cinnamon and nutmeg
Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into equal-sized pieces (about 1-in cubes).
Place in large pot and cover with cold water (this method insures the potatoes all get done at the same time).
Bring to boil and boil 15-20 minutes or until fork tender.
Drain in colander. Return to pot and cook and additional 30 seconds or so to cook off any remaining water.
Remove from heat. Add in the remaining ingredients and smash until you reach your desired consistency.
Taste and adjust ingredients as needed.
Garnish with finely chopped, toasted nuts and cinnamon if desired.