This gluten free & Paleo taco salad with chicken in super simple to make and bursting with fresh flavor. Plus, it can easily be made whole30 compliant!
*To make this dinner grain free and whole30, replace the butter with oil of choice or ghee and omit the corn, corn chips, and honey or sugar.
This is my chicken ranch taco recipe that I morphed into a salad because I didn’t want to heat up tortillas. What can I say, we’ve been having so much fun this summer I haven’t spent a lot of time in the kitchen…. and…. I’m lazy 🙂
here are the steps:
Again, I’m lazy and didn’t get pictures of all the steps. I’ll do better in the future, I promise!
Start by preheating your oven, then just put in some boneless, skinless chicken that is seasoned with salt and pepper and bake for 25 – 30 minutes.
Melt some dairy free butter or oil over medium heat and add the corn. Cook the corn for about 15 minutes or until browned and tender, turning often.
While the chicken and corn are cooking, cut up some tomatoes. I used cherry tomatoes but you can use any kind you want, about 1/2 C.
And slice 1 or 2 avacados. Cut it in half, take out the pit, score it, then scoop it out with a spoon – Easy peasy!
When the corn is done, set it aside to cool.
Now this is the fun part – when the chicken is cooked through, put it directly in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment and you will end up with perfect, restaurant- style shredded chicken! Awesome huh!?! If you don’t have a stand mixer, I won’t judge you, just shred the chicken with 2 forks or cut up with a fork and knife 🙂
…now cut the corn off the cob and season with salt and pepper.
Then, place the shredded chicken in a large skillet over medium heat with NO oil or water and add all of the taco seasonings: onion powder, garlic powder, salt, cumin, paprika, oregano, sugar or honey, and chili powder – whew, that’s a lot of seasonings!
Just stir it around until it gets fragrant and the chicken is thoroughly coated, a few minutes. Set aside.
Now just add some salsa to some store-bought dairy free ranch dressing or my homemade ranch dressing. I highly recommend my homemade ranch dressing – it tastes SO much better than the store bought!
And now just assemble your salads! Garnish with crushed tortilla chips, cilantro, and green onions. Beautiful and tasty!!!
pin for later:
- 2 Large or 3 Medium Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Salt And Pepper
- 2 or 3 Ears Of Corn, Shucked
- 2 Tbsp. Earth Balance Butter, Coconut Oil, Or Oil Of Choice
- ½ C Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 Avocados, Pitted And Chopped
- 10 Oz. Bag Washed and Ready To Eat Lettuce, Any Variety
- ¾ C Dairy Free Ranch Dressing (*See link above for recipe)
- 2 Tablespoons Salsa, Heaping
- Corn Tortillas, Crushed For Garnish
- ½ C Cilantro, Chopped For Garnish
- 3 Whole Green Onions, Sliced For Garnish
- ½ Tsp. Onion Powder
- ¼ Tsp. Garlic Powder
- ¾ Tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 Tsp. Cumin
- 1 Tsp. Paprika
- ½ Tsp. Oregano
- ½ Tsp. Sugar of Choice of Honey
- 1 Tbsp. Chili Powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place chicken in a glass baking dish and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Add ¼ C water and cover with lid or foil.
- Bake 25 - 30 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Transfer to a stand mixer with a paddle attachment and mix on medium until the chicken is perfectly shredded or shred with 2 forks.
- Mix together all of the taco seasoning ingredients in a small bowl.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat with NO water or oil. Add the chicken and taco seasoning and stir until fragrant and chicken is well coated. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat with 2 Tbsp of butter or oil.
- Shuck the corn and add to skillet. Cook about 15 minutes or until tender with nice color, turning often.
- Set aside to cool.
- Slice off the kernels with a sharp knife and season corn with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Start by stirring the salsa into the ranch dressing (*see link above) then cover and place in the refrigerator.
- To assemble the salad, pile the lettuce, chicken, tomatoes, avocado, corn, green onions, cilantro, and crushed tortilla chips on a large platter. Drizzle with ranch dressing, serving some on the side also if desired.
- Serve in individual bowls.