Several months back a friend handed me this recipe and said, “You have to make this, this is THE BEST BANANA BREAD!”
Well, I finally got around to making it and I agree, it is the best banana bread! I had to make some changes for it be grain and refined sugar free, but the changes were simple. I replaced the 1 3/4 C of rice flour with almond and arrowroot and I used coconut palm sugar instead of white sugar.
If you notice, I don’t use the claim that my recipes are “the best” very often. Even with recipes I love, I’m always looking for a way to improve them. And have you seen all of the gluten free blogs??? There are some fantastic recipes!!! I think the only other recipe that I claim to be “the best” is my cinnamon roll recipe. And even that recipe I revised to also be a yeast free recipe.
But there will be no revisions of this recipe, it simply is the best 🙂
First, you mash the bananas.
Then, you whisk together all of the dry ingredients.
After that, you cream together the shortening and sugar, then add the eggs, vanilla, and bananas. I took a picture of this step but it turned out so blurry I couldn’t do that to your poor eyes 🙂
Then you stir in the dry ingredients and pour it into the pan. See my cute little disposable pan I got at Wal-Mart? If you can’t find a small loaf pan, you can buy one on Amazon.
Now you just bake it and voila! The best banana bread 🙂
Pin for later:
*Here’s a grain free baking powder recipe
- ⅓ C + 1 Tbsp. Non-Hydrogenated Shortening
- ¾ C Coconut Palm Sugar
- 2 Whole Eggs
- 2 Tsp. Pure Vanilla
- 1½ C Blanched Almond Flour, Very Finely Ground
- ¾ C Arrowroot Flour
- ¼ Tsp. Salt
- ¼ Tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 Tsp. Grain Free Baking Powder (see link above)
- 1 C Very Ripe Mashed Bananas (about 2 large)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line an 8 x 4 inch pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking oil. Set aside.
- Whisk together the almond flour, arrowroot, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Mash the bananas with potato masher or 2 forks, set aside.
- Cream the shortening and coconut sugar.
- Beat in the eggs, vanilla, and bananas.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients and beat until well combined.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 50 - 55 minutes. Check after 40 minutes and cover with foil if the top is getting too brown.
- Cool for at least 1 hour before serving.