When I have a choice of sides, I have to admit that coleslaw is never my first choice, or second… OK, it’s my last choice – I have never much liked it. I’ve tried making a few homemade coleslaws but I haven’t liked them either. But I love this coleslaw recipe because it’s different, sweet, and full of flavor! I used a bag of pre-made coleslaw and added cashews and juicy apples for a nice crunch and some green onions for extra flavor. Then I mixed in a sweet, poppyseed dressing- SO Yummy 🙂
This is a perfect side for a summertime Bar-B-Q or covered dish. I like to serve this whenever I make my parents country style ribs recipe. I will be posting it in about 2 weeks but here’s preview:
Start with a bag of coleslaw, I used this 3 color deli coleslaw – then place it in a large salad bowl.
Cut up 2 apples and add them to the mix.
Grab some green onions and cut them up as well, about 8 – 10. My onions look so sad, they were in my fridge way too long!
Lastly, add the cashews. You can use any kind you like. I used raw, but roasted and salted would be good as well.
For the dressing I just mixed up all the ingredients in a large bowl. But if you want to do it right, blend everything in a blender or food processor except the poppyseeds and oil. Then drizzle in the oil while it’s on low. When it’s all blended stir in the poppyseeds… but I am much too lazy to correctly make salad dressing 🙂
This salad dressing is, first of all, really sweet because of all the honey and orange juice and, secondly, has a nice tang due to the apple cider vinegar. This is how we like it, but please adjust the ingredients to your personal taste 🙂
Then add the dressing to the salad bowl and mix everything up really well. Your done!
Pin for later:
- 2 16 oz. Package Cole Slaw
- 1½ C Cashews
- 2 Apples, chopped
- 8-10 Green Onions, chopped
- ¾ C Veganaise (vegan mayo)
- 1¼ C Honey
- ¼ tsp. Onion Powder
- 1 tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp. Dried Mustard
- 1 Tbsp. Poppyseeds
- ⅓ C Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ Orange Juice
- ¼ C Olive Oil or Oil of Choice, liquified (this can be omitted if you prefer)
- Add the coleslaw, cashews, apples, and green onions to a large salad bowl.
- In another large bowl, whisk together all of the dressing ingredients.
- Pour the dressing into the coleslaw mixture and mix until well combined.
- Cover and place in refrigerator for 1 hours.
- Scoop out the Cole Slaw with a slotted spoon to drain off excess liquid, serve cold.
this post is part of Fat Tuesday Gluten Free Wednesdays, Allergy Free Wednesdays, and Gluten Free & DIY Tuesday