You may also like my cream cheese frosting that is dairy, soy, and refined sugar free!!!
Dairy Free Cream Cheese
As I was going through my recipe box this week preparing to buy groceries, I came across several recipes that called for cream cheese. I was determined to come up with a cashew, dairy free cream cheese recipe that tasted just as good as the original!
*Next time I make this I think I’ll try making it with Macadamia nuts to try and make it a more white color.
Paleo And Dairy Free Cream Cheese
- 1 1/2 C RAW cashews if you don't have a high speed blender, soak in hot water 30+ minutes
- 1/4 tsp. minced garlic
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 - 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. xanthan gum optional but will help thicken
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil solid or liquid form
- 3 Tbsp. non-dairy milk
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. tahini
- 1/2 C water as needed
- 3/4 tsp. sea salt
- up to 1/4 tsp. garlic powder as desired
- Soak cashews in very hot water for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Or in room temperature water overnight.
- Drain and rinse cashews. Then, add to blender.
- Add remaining ingredients using only 1/4 C of the water. Blend on high until well combined and smooth. Taste and adjust ingredients as needed.
- Add additional water as needed to help facilitate blending.
- Cover and refrigerate 30 - 45 minutes or until slightly thickened. If left in fridge too long (an hour +) it become hard. Set out on counter until soft enough to handle if needed.
*Without a Vita-Mix, you will probably not be able to get your mixture completely smooth, but really close.
Nutritional information is approximate and may vary.