This is an easy, one ingredient dairy-free and vegan dulce de leche or caramel sauce recipe that has a rich, sticky-sweet caramel flavor.
This delicious dairy-free and vegan dulce de leche has a rich, sticky-sweet caramel flavor and only requires 1 ingredient. Yes, ONE ingredient!
All you have to do is boil a can of vegan sweetened condensed milk for about 3 ½ hours and it makes sweet, caramel-y goodness ?
If you're not familiar with dulce de leche, it's a Spanish phrase that pretty much means sweet milk or candy of milk. It's very similar to caramel and is super easy to make.
Here are the details:
Easy vegan dulce de leche
Just like you can boil a can of sweetened condensed milk to create dulce de leche, using the vegan version works just as good!
The only difference I noticed with the vegan version is that is has a thinner, more sauce-like consistency than traditional dulce de leche - even though it thickens some in the fridge.
However, it still has that great, rich caramel flavor that the kids and I just LOVE! In fact, I found both of my kids licking their bowls (and maybe me too, lol?) and asking for more.
While I still love and make my original Caramel Sauce Recipe I was excited to try something new and am now happy to have 2 recipes for caramel!
Which do I like better you say? It's hard to pick since there are pro's and con's to each recipe so here's the rundown:
Dulce de leche vs. caramel sauce
- If I had to pick totally off of taste I would pick the Dulce de Leche. Since it's made with white cane sugar that is then caramelized, it has a bit of truer caramel taste.
- My Caramel Sauce Recipe, however, can be made paleo and keto-compliant.
- Caramel is also a lot faster to make. If you don't care about it thickening up, it can be ready in 10 minutes. The Dulce de Leche, however, takes over 3 hours.
- The Vegan Dulce de Leche would not work in recipes calling for thick caramel sauce. It's thinner than caramel (especially before it's refrigerated) but would work perfect drizzled over dessert.
What about you, which do you think you will try it? Do you prefer Dulce de Leche or caramel? Let me know what you think!
This recipe really only has one step: Simmer the can of vegan sweetened condensed milk for around 3 ½ hours!
There are few things to keep in mind though:
- You don't need to have the water at a rapid boil for 3 ½ hours. After you bring the water to a boil, turn the heat down to a gentle simmer.
- The water will evaporate! Because of this, you'll need to top off the water every 30 to 45 minutes to keep the can covered.
- And most importantly: Do not open the can while it's hot! If you do this, it may explode! And I'm not looking for anyone to go to the ER.
Looking for more recipes?
If you’ve tried this Vegan Dulce de Leche or any other recipe on the blog please let me know in the comments below!
Vegan Dulce de Leche
- 1 Can Nature's Charm Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk - or as many as you would like
- Place the can or cans into a large pot on their sides and cover with 1 to 2 inches of water.
- Bring to a boil, then immediately turn down to Medium-Low or Low until you have a nice, gentle simmer or light boil.
- Let simmer 3 ½ hours.
- *Important step* Top off the water as it simmers to keep 1 to 2 inches of water over the cans at all times.
- Halfway through the simmering processes, very carefully rotate the cans with tongs.
- After the simmering time, carefully remove the cans with tongs and allow to cool before opening. DO NOT open cans when they are hot, there is a potential for an explosion!
- Dulce de Leche can be stored in a sealed mason jar in the fridge for up to a month. It will thicken slightly in the fridge.
- DO NOT open the cane while they are hot! Let them cool before opening, otherwise, they may explode!
- This recipe this thinner than traditional Caramel Sauce, but will slightly thicken in the fridge.
- Keep at least one to two inches of water over the cans at all times. Add more water as needed as it simmers.
- The longer you boil the cans, the richer the caramel. Feel free to boil the cans an additional 30 minutes to an hour if desired.
Nutritional information is approximate and may vary.
Looking for more information on the keto diet? Check out these resources: