I LOVE chocolate turtles!!! I grew up calling these turtles but I’ve noticed that many people call them Caramel Pecan Clusters. Either way, no matter what you call them they’re delicious!
Nuts covered in caramel sauce with chocolate poured over the top. What’s not to love? And to make them even better, they’re simple to make using easy to find allergy-friendly ingredients without soy, dairy, and processed sugar.
here are the steps:
Start with the caramel: Melt 2 Tbsp. of butter (can use non-dairy), 1/4 Cup of coconut palm sugar, and 1 Tbsp. honey in a saucpan over medium heat.
Remove from heat, then add a pinch of salt, vanilla, and the nuts of your choosing. Typically turtles use pecans, but walnuts are all I had on hand so that’s what I used 😊
After that, place tablespoon-sized amounts of the caramel/nut mixture onto a parchment lined baking sheet then drizzle with some allergy-friendly melted chocolate. I prefer to use Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips because they are free of the top allergens and are high quality. If you do choose to use a different brand, only use high quality chocolate because the brand you choose will highly effect the taste of your turtles.
That’s it!! Now all you have to do is place them in the fridge until the chocolate hardens – around 30 minutes! Enjoy your Paleo Turtles or Caramel Pecan Clusters – whichever you prefer to call them 🙂
Pin Paleo Turtles For later:
Paleo Turtles or Pecan Clusters
Any links on this site may be affilate links. If you purchase anything through them, your cost will remain the same, but I may make a small comission. Thank you for your support!
- For the caramel sauce: In a small saucepan, mix together the butter, sugar, and honey over medium heat. Stir continually and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla, salt, and nuts.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and drop tablespoon-sized amounts of the mixture onto the paper.
- Place uncovered in refrigerator while you make the chocolate coating.
- In a heatproof bowl, add the chocolate and 1 tsp. shortening. Then, place over simmering water being careful that the water doesn't touch the bottom of the bowl. Stir until completely melted OR Melt in microwave in 30 second increments, stirring well after each increment.
- Drop 1 to 2 tsp. of the chocolate over each caramel cluster, spreading gently to coat.
- Place back in fridge until set... 30 minutes to an hour.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge.
Nutritional information is approximate and may vary.
Any links on my site may be affiliate links. If you purchase anything through them I may make a small commission. Thank you for your support to keep this free resource available!
this post is part of Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Gluten free Wednesdays, and Allergy Free Wednesdays