The trick to this great tasting cornbread isn’t the ingredients but the cooking method using the cast iron skillet with the melted butter. It makes the cornbread crispy and moist! I’ve made this many times and it tastes just like the southern cornbread my granny used to make 🙂
Southern Skillet CornbreadPrint Rate
Any links on this site may be affilate links. If you purchase anything through them, your cost will remain the same, but I may make a small comission. Thank you for your support!
- 1 C cornmeal
- 3/4 C gluten free quick cooking oats
- 1/2 t soda
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1 t salt
- 1 C vegan buttermilk mix 1 C milk substitute and 1 t. distilled white vinegar and let stand a few minutes
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 C Oil melted
- 2 T vegan butter I prefer Earth Balance or ghee
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Mix your milk substitute and vinegar, let stand.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, soda, baking powder, salt and oats.
- Stir together the buttermilk, eggs, and oil. Add to the dry ingredients. Do not over mix.
- In a cast iron skillet, melt the butter.
- Pour in the batter and cook for 1 minute on the stove.
- Transfer to the oven and bake 15-20 minutes, or until nicely browned.
Nutritional information is approximate and may vary.