Paleo Lemon Bars
These lemon bars have a soft but sturdy shortbread-type crust with a creamy filling and just the right amount of sweet and tart.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 1 C Blanched Almond Flour
- 1/3 C + 2 Tbsp. Coconut Flour
- 1/4 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1/4 C Refined Coconut Oil solid state
- 2 Tbsp. Honey
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/2 tsp. Pure Vanilla
- 1/2 C Fresh Lemon Juice about 4 Lemons (PLEASE don't use the stuff in a bottle, its not the same!)
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1/2 C Honey
- 5 Large Eggs
- 1 tsp. Coconut Flour sifted
- 1 Tbsp. Arrowroot or Tapioca Flour + more for dusting if desired
- 1 Large Egg Yolk
In the bowl of a food processor, add the almond flour, coconut flour, and salt. Give it a good whirl to combine. Next, add coconut oil and pulse until it's combined. After that, mix in the honey, egg, and vanilla. It should form a ball in your food processor.
If you are making the crust ahead of time, simply wrap the dough in plastic wrap and place in the fridge until you are ready to use it. It can be kept in the fridge for up to two days. If not, press the dough into the bottom of a greased 8 x 8 inch baking dish and prick with a fork several times. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. While the oven is preheating, place the crust in the freezer.
Bake the crust for 8 - 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Set aside.
For the filling, juice the lemons until you reach 1/2 C. Then whisk together the lemon juice and zest, honey, eggs and egg yolk, coconut flour, and arrowroot or tapioca flour.
Pour the filling into the baked crust and place back in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes or until the center is set but slightly jiggly.
Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes then refrigerate until chilled to finish setting up, about 2 or 3 hours.
Dust the top with tapioca flour, arrowroot flour, or powdered sugar :)
- A word of caution: all coconut flour isn’t the same! Some coconut flours are much more absorbent than others. I recommend using either Bob’s Red Mill or Arrowhead Mills because these are 2 brands I know will work. If you need to use another brand, make sure it has a super soft and fluffy texture, not gritty or grainy.
- If you don’t have a food processor: Whisk together the dry ingredients, then cut in the coconut oil with a pastry cutter or 2 forks. Next, add in the egg, honey, and vanilla until well combined.
- Don't forget to prick the bottom of the crust with a fork! Otherwise, it will puff up and not bake well.
Calories: 151kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 60mg | Potassium: 36mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 105IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 0.7mg