This meatball soup is easy to prepare, hearty, and loaded with fresh veggies and flavor. Best of all, the meatballs can be made ahead of time and it freezes nicely.
Since it’s getting warmer outside I know most people are getting out of the mood for soup but I promise, this soup is good no matter what the weather!
It’s easy to prepare, hearty, and loaded with fresh veggies and flavor. And if you’re short on time, the meatballs can be made ahead of time or even frozen.
Here are the steps:
Start with the meatballs. For the meatballs, I’ve added some sneaky veggies. I add an onion, 2 handfuls of spinach, and 3 cloves of garlic to a food processor and process until everything is in very small pieces.
Then I add the spinach/onion mixture to a large bowl along with 2 lbs. beef, sea salt, pepper, Italian seasonings, and parsley and mix everything together. Then I roll the mixture into meatballs and bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes. The meatballs are also great on their own, as a snack, in lunchboxes, or with lots of dishes!!!
While the meatballs are cooking, I make the soup. I’m sorry to say that I didn’t get any good pictures of the soup but I’ll still give you the rundown 🙂
For the soup I saute carrots, onion, celery, and garlic in a heavy-bottomed pot. Then I add basil, oregano, thyme, tomato paste, a bay leaf, chopped zucchini, diced tomatoes, and chicken broth. I let that simmer about 20 minutes to infuse all that yummy flavor.
When it’s done simmering I add some balsamic vinegar for nice depth of flavor, salt, pepper, and the meatballs. Then it’s ready to eat!!! And whatever is leftover (if there is any) can be stored in the fridge or it also freezes nicely.
Pin for later:
- 2 Lb. Ground Beef
- 2 Handfuls Fresh Spinach
- 1 Small Onion
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- ¾ tsp. Sea Salt
- ¼ tsp. Ground Pepper
- 2 tsp. Italian Seasonings
- 2 Tbsp. Parsley
- 1 Tbsp. Olive or Coconut Oil
- 1 Small Onion, diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Medium Carrot, Peeled and Diced
- 1 Stalk of Celery, Chopped
- 2 tsp. Dried Basil
- 1 tsp. Oregano
- ¾ tsp. Thyme
- 1 32 oz. Can of Diced Tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp. Tomato Paste
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 32-oz. Low Sodium Beef or Chicken Broth
- 1 Medium Zucchini - Chopped into Halves or Quarters
- 1 tsp. Balsamic Vinegar
- Salt, to taste (at least ½ tsp.)
- Pepper, to taste (at least ¼ tsp.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9x11 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the spinach, garlic, and onion. Then process until everything is in very small pieces. Add the spinach/onion mixture to a large mixing bowl along with the ground beef, sea salt, pepper, Italian seasonings, and Parsley. Mix well.
- Roll into meatballs and place into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Add the oil to large heavy-bottomed pot or dutch oven and heat over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrot, and celery. Saute until veggies are slightly soft, around 4 minutes.
- Add the basil, oregano, and thyme. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaf, chicken or beef broth, and zucchini.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20-25 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar. Taste soup, if it tastes flat, it needs more salt.
- Add the meatballs to the soup and serve!