This bars are crazy addictive – I just can’t stop eating them! They’re sweet with the warm spices of fall and ginger without being overpowering. Plus, the texture is that of a soft and moist cake-like brownie. No wonder I ate half of the pan last night and my kids keep sneaking them!
And while I really love these with cream cheese frosting, they are just as good without and make an easy snack on-the-go or to send in the kiddos lunchboxes 🙂
Here are the steps:
Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees and preparing an 8 x 8 in baking pan by lining with foil and greasing. Then, whisk together all of the the dry ingredients.
Then all of the wet – the honey, molasses, eggs, applesauce, and vanilla.
Then stir the wet ingredients into the dry. and pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake for 25-30 minutes.
For the frosting, just blend the shortening, Earth Balance butter, honey, almond butter, vanilla, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and liquid stevia with a blender until smooth. I know it seems like a lot of ingredients, but it’s really not that bad and can be done in a snap 🙂 Then spread it over the cooled bars. DE-LISH!!!
pin for later:
Here’s the printable:
- 1¼ C Blanched Almond Flour, Honeyville Brand
- ¾ C Arrowroot or Tapioca Flour
- ½ Tsp. Sea Salt
- ½ Tsp. Baking Soda
- 1½ Tsp. Ground Ginger
- ¼ Tsp. Ground Cloves
- ¼ Tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ C Refined Coconut Oil, melted
- 3 Large Eggs
- ¼ C Unsweetened Applesauce
- ¼ C Pure Maple Syrup or Honey
- ¼ C Molasses
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla
- ½ C Non-Dairy Butter or Ghee
- ½ C Non-Hydrogenated Shortening
- ½ C Honey, more to taste
- 1 Tsp. Smooth Almond Butter or Cashew Butter
- 1 - 2 Drops Vanilla Liquid Stevia, Optional
- 1 Tsp. Pure Vanilla
- 1½ Tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1½ Tsp. Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line an 8 x 8 inch pan with foil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients... the almond flour, arrowroot, salt, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut oil, applesauce, maple syrup or honey, molasses, and vanilla.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 25 to 30 minutes. If it starts to brown too quickly, cover with foil.
- Cool completely.
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl on low until combined. Then, turn speed to high and blend until smooth.
this post is part of Whole Food Fridays, Healing With Food Fridays, Gluten Free Wednesdays, Allergy Free Wednesdays, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, and Gluten Free Fridays