**To all of my pinterest followers: I recently re-organized my pinterest boards, so instead of having 1 board for all of my recipes I divided them into 5 categories. If you want to receive all of my updates on Pinterest, you will have to sign up to follow my new boards Thank you!!!
I’ve been trying to perfect a spaghetti sauce for what seems like years now. I’ve tried everything… cooking it in a crock pot, letting it simmering for hours, adding pork chops for flavor, store bought sauces, and all kinds of crazy spice combinations. But in the end, I always come back to a basic homemade meat sauce with classic seasonings using an onion, bell pepper, bay leaf, garlic, and Italian spices.
Let me tell you… it’s good people. It’s full of flavor, thick, and is a cinch to make Let’s get started!
You start by browning the beef, then draining off the fat and setting it aside.
While that’s browning, chop up the bell pepper and onion (my bell pepper was frozen, that’s why it has ice on it!).
Then, add it to the heated skillet that the meat was in and cook for 3 -5 minutes or until tender.
After the onion and pepper are tender, add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Then add the beef broth and allow it to bubble for about a minute and a half. Then, add all the remaining ingredients except the parsley and basil and allow to simmer to 20 minutes so all the flavors can come together!
Chop the basil. I like to chiffon mine – just stack the basil on top of each other (you only need 2 or 3 leaves) then roll it like the above picture and finely chop.
Finally, take out the bay leaf, and add the parsley and basil. That’s it – perfect, simple spaghetti!!! Serve over brown rice Tinkyada pasta or for grain free serve over spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles
- 1 Lb. Ground Beef
- 1 Onion, Chopped
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, Chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- ⅓ C GF Beef Broth
- 28 oz. Tomato Sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Tomato Paste
- ¼ tsp. Oregano
- ¼ tsp. Ground Thyme
- 1 Tbsp. Honey
- 1½ tsp. Salt
- 1 Bay Leaf
- ¼ tsp. Ground Pepper
- ¼ C Dried Parsley (about ½ C is using fresh)
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh Basil, finely chopped (or 1 Tbsp. dried)
- Brown beef and set aside.
- Add onion and bell pepper and cook 3 - 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add garlic and cook about 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Stir in beef broth and allow to reduce for about 1½ minutes.
- Then, stir in the tomato sauce, tomato paste, oregano, thyme, honey, salt, bay leaf, and pepper.
- Add in the browned beef, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley and basil and remove the bay leaf. (If using dried spices, rub between hands as you sprinkle into the sauce to release flavor)
- Serve over Tinkyada brown rice pasta, spaghetti squash, or zucchini noodles.
this post is part of Allergy Free Wednesday Gluten Free & DIY Tuesdays Gluten Free Fridays, and Fat Tuesday