This yummy chicken noodle soup is not only very flavorful, but it’s chock full of nutrients and very healing – perfect for these cold winter months when so much sickness is going around! I made the soup Paleo by using spiralized zucchini noodles instead of traditional noodles. However, if you prefer traditional noodles, just replace the zucchini with gluten free noodles and boil them according to package directions on step 6 🙂
Also, I used homemade bone broth to amp up the nutritional value. Homemade bone broth contains vitamins, nutrients, and gelatin which store bought brands just don’t contain – even the organic brands! But if you’ve already clicked ahead to see my chicken broth recipe are shaking your head at me that you don’t have time to let it simmer 12 – 24 hours, don’t fret! I have a sped up version below that I made just for this recipe!
*For a sped-up version of my homemade bone broth and shredded chicken: Add ALL of the chicken stock ingredients when boiling the chicken. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to low and gently simmer 1 to 1 1/2 hours. As it cooks, skim any impurities off the top of the water. Once the chicken is cooked through, remove chicken to a cutting board and shred and de-bone the chicken with 2 forks. Carefully strain the broth (I use a fine mesh strainer) to remove all of the solids. The chicken bones can be used to make another batch of homemade bone broth 🙂 But Please Note– While still better than store-bought, cooking the chicken for 1 1/2 hours as opposed to 12 hours will not extract as much gelatin or nutrients from the bones.
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Refined Coconut Oil
- 1 Medium Onion, Finely Chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 2 Large Carrots, Halved Lengthwise and Cut Diagonally Into ½ Inch Thick Slices
- 2 Large Celery Ribs, Halved Lengthwise and Cut Into ½ Inch Thick Slices
- ¼ tsp. Ground Thyme
- ¼ tsp. Dried Basil
- ¼ tsp. Dried Oregano
- ½ tsp. Dried Dill
- 8 Cups Homemade Chicken Stock (see link above)
- 3 Large or 4 Small Zucchini, Spiralized (see link above)
- 1½ C Shredded Cooked Chicken (see link above)
- Salt and Pepper, to taste (I used about 1½ tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper)
- 2 Tbsp. Dried Parsley or ¼ C Fresh and Finely Chopped
- Prepare the chicken broth and shredded chicken (see links above) and set aside.
- Chop the onions, carrot, and celery, set aside.
- Spiralize the zucchini and set that aside also.
- Add the olive oil or coconut oil to a large stock pan and heat over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. Cook for about 6 minutes, or until celery and onions are tender, stirring frequently.
- Add the chicken broth, shredded chicken, spiralized zucchini, thyme, basil, oregano, and dill.
- Bring to a boil and boil 10 to15 minutes, or until the zucchini and carrots are tender.
- Add the parsley, then the salt and pepper to taste. Serve Hot.