This Paleo Sandwich Bread is light and tender with a slight crust and mild flavor. It’s become our new favorite sandwich bread and I make a loaf every week! My little girl even asks if she can have my bread for her sandwiches instead of “regular” bread.
To achieve the soft moist texture that most gluten free breads lack, I used psyllium husks as a binder (plus it adds fiber) and I beat the egg whites separately.
Paleo Sandwich Bread Instructions
Start by whisking the dry ingredients… the blanched almond flour, arrowroot, sea salt, and baking soda. Then, separate the eggs. Place the egg yolk in a medium-sized mixing bowl and the egg whites in a large mixing bowl. Add the honey, milk, water, vinegar, and psyllium husks to the egg yolks and set aside to thicken.
Beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks, 3 to 5 minutes.
Stir the wet ingredients into the dry then add the mixture to the egg whites. Mix until well combined but do not over-beat. Pour batter into a greased 8 x 4 inch loaf pan.
Bake for 45 – 50 minutes, then cool in pan 15 minutes. Transfer to cooling rack and cool an additional hour. Stays good at room temperature for a day or two, after that bread can be frozen.
Tips For A Perfect Loaf Of Bread
- This recipe calls for whole psyllium husks. If you decide to use psyllium husk powder you would need significantly less. I have not tested this recipe with psyllium powder so do not the amount required so I don’t recommend using it.
- A traditional 9 x 5 inch bread pan will not work well for this recipe. I recommend using an 8×4 inch loaf pan or a 7.5 x 4.5 inch loaf pan(affiliate link). The bread tends to stick and burn when using darker pans so I recommend an aluminum foil or glass loaf pan.
- To freeze bread, slice and wrap tightly in foil or plastic wrap. Then, place in sealed baggie in freezer.
Paleo Sandwich Bread
- 2 1/4 Cup Blanched Almond Flour Honeyville Brand
- 1 Cup Arrowroot Flour
- 1 1/4 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/4 Cup Whole Psyllium Husks I do not know the amount if using powdered psyllium, but it would be considerably less!
- 2 Tbsp. Honey or Agave
- 4 Large Eggs Separated
- 2 Tbsp. Non-Dairy Milk
- 2 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Water
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a large bowl whisk together the almond flour, arrowroot, salt, and soda.
- Separate the eggs: Place the egg whites in a large mixing bowl and place the yolks in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Add the honey, milk, water, vinegar, and psyllium husks to the egg yolks and set aside to thicken.
- Beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks, 3 -5 minutes.
- Spray an 8 inch by 4 inch loaf pan with cooking oil and set aside. I recommend aluminum or glass.
- Be sure your oven is preheated, then stir the wet ingredients into the dry. Then add the mixture to the egg whites and beat until well combined but do not over beat.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan. Smooth top as needed with wet finger or wet rubber spatula. Bake 45 - 50 minutes. Do not open oven door.
- Cool 15 minutes in pan then transfer to cooling rack and allow to cool at least another hour. Stays good at room temperature only a day or two. To freeze: slice bread, wrap tightly in foil, place in sealed baggie in freezer.
Nutritional information is approximate and may vary.