Five minutes people – I’m not even kidding!!! You can have a Paleo Chocolate Chip Mug Cookie in five minutes flat. I even timed myself – it took me 3 1/2 minutes to throw it together and 1 minute to cook, I just added an extra 30 seconds for good measure 🙂
Now, I’ve tried my share of mug cookies and cakes and haven’t been impressed, but this one impressed me. So much so, that I’ve already made it countless times and told all my family and friends about it because it’s just so quick and easy but yet has the taste and texture of a freshly baked homemade cookie. I’ve made it so many times in fact, that I’ve added quite a few notes to the recipe to ensure that it turns out exactly perfect every time!
While most of my recipes lately have been egg free, this recipe has an egg yolk. Many people who have an egg allergy are actually not allergic to the egg yolk but the egg white – plus even if you’re not allergic to egg whites they can cause problems in people with auto-immune issues. And contrary to popular belief, egg yolks actually have many health benefits – they contain cholesterol (it has recently been proven that the cholesterol in eggs does not negatively impact your health), fat soluble vitamins, calcium, iron, phosphorus, zinc, thiamin, folate, B6, and B12- YAY! So I’m thinking that this cookie is actually a health food, that’s what I’m going to tell myself anyway 🙂
So here’s my super fast and easy chocolate chip mug cookie recipe – ENJOY!!!
*Note- I’ve successfully made this with 1 Tbsp. of coconut flour instead of tapioca flour with a large egg yolk and no non-dairy milk. It was extremely moist and cake-like whereas the tapioca flour resulted in more of a cookie texture.
**I’ve tried replacing the egg yolk with applesauce and it didn’t turn out very well.
- 1 Tbsp. Refined Coconut Oil
- 2 Tbsp. Coconut Palm Sugar
- 1 X-Large Egg Yolk (if you only have large eggs, add between ½ to 1 tsp. of non-dairy milk or the cookie will be dry)
- ¼ tsp. Pure Vanilla
- Pinch Of Salt
- ¼ C Tapioca Flour (Arrowroot Would *Probably* Work)
- 2 Tbsp. Non-Dairy Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips
- Measure out 1 Tablespoon of the refined coconut oil and place in a mug or remekin. Melt the oil in the microwave, approximately 30 seconds. Swirl the oil to coat the mug.
- Stir in the palm sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla.
- Then, carefully stir in the arrowroot flour and salt. Then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Cook for 1 minute on 80% power (assuming you have a 1000 watt microwave). This is important or the cookie will be dry. On my microwave, you enter the time, then press "power" and press 8. If you gently touch the top and it lightly springs back, it's perfect (if it's firm to the touch, it's overcooked).
- Serve immediately 🙂
adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe