These Dairy Free & Keto Truffles feature a rich, creamy, melt-in-your-mouth center coated in a chocolate shell, cocoa powder, sprinkles, coconut flakes, or nuts. These chocolate truffles are made Keto friendly by using sugar free chocolate and are a breeze to make, requiring only a few simple ingredients!
What Are Chocolate Truffles?
Chocolate truffles are a chocolate candy that feature a ganache filling (melted chocolate and cream) rolled or coated in a topping of your choice such as chocolate, nuts, coconut, sprinkles, or cocoa powder. They really only require 2 simple ingredients – chocolate and cream, but I like to add some vanilla for added taste and coconut oil to the chocolate shell to help with the melting process.
To make them dairy free, I use full-fat canned coconut milk in place of heavy cream and allergy friendly chocolate chips such as Lily’s Chocolate Chips or Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips. Lily’s Chocolate Chips are lower in carbs, but the Enjoy Life Brand is soy free and also has a semi-sweet variety – so choose whichever chocolate you prefer and works best for your diet.
Steps To Make Keto Truffles
Keto Truffles may seem difficult to make, but they’re actually really easy! It basically involves melting chocolate and waiting for it to set up, there’s no oven involved! Here are the easy steps:
The Ganache Center:
For the ganache center, melt together 1 Cup of chocolate chips and 1/2 Cup of full-fat canned coconut milk in a shallow bowl.
If you heat chocolate too fast or unevenly it will get hard and lumpy so I recommend melted it in a double-boiler or in intervals in the microwave.
You can easily make your own double-boiler by placing a large, heatproof bowl over a small saucepan of boiling water. Then, add the chocolate to the heatproof bowl and stir it until it’s fully melted. If you choose to melt your chocolate in the microwave, start by heating it for 30 seconds then stir the chocolate very well. After that, heat in 15 second intervals, stirring well after each interval, until fully melted.
Once the chocolate is melted, stir in 1 tsp. pure vanilla. Place the bowl in the freezer for 30 minutes to an hour or the fridge for least an hour, or until completely cooled and solid.
Using greased hands, scoop and roll the ganache into small balls and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. This part is a bit messy but totally worth it!
Place the baking sheet in the fridge for another hour, or until firm. If you find they aren’t firming up as much as you’d like or want to speed up the process, feel free to place them in the freezer.
My favorite coating for chocolate truffles is chocolate. I love the hard chocolate shell with a soft interior and the fact that they’re not as messy as the other options. However, they’re also great coated in sprinkles, nuts, cocoa powder, coconut flakes, or any other coating you can think of!
For the chocolate coating, melt together 1 1/2 Cups of chocolate chips and 1 Tbsp. coconut oil. Again, you can use the microwave or a double boiler for this.
Use a fork to dip the ganche centers, one at a time, into the melted chocolate and cover completely. Then, use a toothpick to help remove the truffle from the fork and place back on the parchment paper. Top each truffle with sea salt or other decorations or sprinkles, if desired. Place the chocolate covered truffles back in the fridge or freezer until the coating is set.
If you want to use another coating besides the chocolate, simply place the coating in a small bowl and roll the ganache fillings in them, one at a time, until they’re completely covered and place them back on the parchment paper.
Tips For Making Perfect Keto Truffles And Choosing A Coating
- This recipe is easier to work with if you use coconut milk that has not been stored in the fridge. If you need to use cold coconut milk that has separated, simply scoop out and use the coagulated cream.
- If using a chocolate bar instead of chocolate chips, use a serrated knife to finely chop the chocolate so it melts evenly.
- My favorite coating for chocolate truffles is chocolate. I love the hard chocolate shell with a soft interior and the fact that they’re not as messy as the other options. However, they’re also great coated in sprinkles, nuts, cocoa powder, coconut flakes, or any other coating you can think of!
- If you prefer not to use a microwave, melt the chocolate on the stove in a double-boiler. To make your own double-boiler, place a large heatproof bowl over a small saucepan of boiling water. Be sure the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl. Then, stir until it’s is completely melted and remove from heat.
- When placing the ganache in the fridge or freezer be sure to use a shallow bowl, otherwise it will take a lot longer to cool.
- The truffles can be stored covered in the fridge for up to two months. Remove from fridge 30 minutes before serving, if desired.
Looking for more Keto Desserts? Check these out!
Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake For Two from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Dairy Free & Keto Chocolate Truffles
Any links on this site may be affilate links. If you purchase anything through them, your cost will remain the same, but I may make a small comission. Thank you for your support!
- 1 Cup Lily's Dark Chocolate Chips or chocolate chips of choice, use Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips (dark or semi-sweet) for soy free
- 1/2 Cup Full-Fat Canned Coconut Milk
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla
Other Coating Options:
- Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- Finley Chopped Walnuts
- Cocoa Powder
- Place the chocolate chips and coconut milk in a shallow, microwave-safe bowl*. Heat 30 seconds. Stir. Heat another 15 seconds then stir until completely melted. Can heat another 15 seconds if needed.
- Place the bowl, uncovered, in the freezer for 30 minutes to an hour or the fridge for at least an hour, or until completely cooled and solid.
- Using greased hands, scoop and roll the ganache into small balls and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet in the fridge for another hour, or until firm. If you find they aren't firming up as much as you'd like or want to speed up the process, feel free to place them in the freezer.
- Place the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl*. Heat 30 seconds. Stir. Heat another 15 seconds then stir until completely melted. Can heat another 15 seconds if needed.
- Use a fork to dip the truffles, one at a time, in the chocolate and coat completely. Use a toothpick to help remove from fork and place back on the parchment paper.
- Sprinkle with sea salt or any desired decorations and place back in the fridge until chocolate has hardened, around 1 hour.
Other Coating Options:
- Place the coating in a small bowl and roll the ganache fillings, one at a time, in the coating until completely covered then place back on the parchment paper.
Nutritional information is approximate and may vary.
Pin Keto Truffles For Later