Coming up with a dairy free key lime pie recipe was much harder than I thought. After all, the only thing that needed to be changed was the sweetened condensed milk. But no matter what I did, I couldn’t get the recipe to work. That’s when I had a idea–lemon bars!
Lemon bars??? How does that relate to key lime pie??? Well, I decided to make the lemon filling on a lemon bar recipe I came across and use lime instead of lemon, along with a few other minor adjustments. The result? Tasty. Very tasty. But it still didn’t firm up as much as I wanted. So I added some gelatin and viola!!! A perfect key lime pie.
Key lime pie is one of my absolute favorite pies and this recipe is just as good as any other milk-filled pie. Perfect texture, perfect taste, just the right amount of lime… should I go on? No? O.k., here’s the recipe 🙂
- 6 eggs
- ¾ C agave nectar or honey
- zest of 1 lime
- ½ C fresh lime juice, use key limes for best flavor
- ½ C coconut oil
- ¼ C Earth Balance butter or Ghee
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ C cold water
- 2 tsp. gelatin*
- 1¾ C gluten free graham style crumbs
- 6 Tb. melted Earth Balance butter or Ghee, vegan
- ¼ granulated sugar (I used palm sugar)
- Start by making the crust: Mix all ingredients in a medium sized bowl then press mixture into the bottom and sides of a 8 or 9 inch pie pan. Place uncovered in freezer while you make the filling. It should be set by the time you're ready to use it.
- In a double boiler (or a pan of boiling water with a stainless steel bowl on top) whisk together the eggs and agave nectar over medium-low heat. Then, zest a lime with a microplane zester and whisk that in as well.
- Add the coconut oil...
- Then the lime juice (I've heard that if you don't use key limes you should substitute some of the lime juice for lemon juice but I have not tried this) and butter... and continue whisking until completely melted. I know it's tempting to turn up the heat, but you don't want the eggs to curdle so just keep whisking.
- Now that everything has melted, turn it up to medium heat and keep whisking until it has thickened and acts like it's going to boil- about 3-5 minutes (If your eggs do start to curdle you can always strain it, but you shouldn't have that problem).
- Remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla.
- In a small bowl, mix together the water and gelatin. Microwave for 30 seconds, or until it starts to boil. Stir until completely dissolved.
- Whisk the gelatin into your key lime pie filling.
- Remove set crust from freezer and pour the filling into the crust.
- Place uncovered in refrigerator at least 2 hours, or until set
- Serve with my dairy free coconut whipped cream or my cool whip recipe. Yum!
|Can be found on the baking aisle of most any supermarket|