***See Also My Yeast Free Paleo Hamburger Buns!***
Yeeeeeaaaaah – hamburger buns!!! And just in time for grilling season!
My husband said these tasted just like “regular” hamburger buns, and I have to agree. They aren’t gummy or heavy and don’t fall apart like other gluten free hamburger buns I’ve tried. No, these have a good crumb, good texture, and are just plain good. Ready for the recipe??? I’m so excited about it I can’t even talk about it anymore, I just have to give you the recipe! Here it is:
- 2 tsp. active dry yeast
- ½ C warm water, about 115 degrees
- 2¼ C blanched almond flour
- 1 C arrowroot flour, plus extra for your hands
- 2 tsp unflavored gelatin*
- 1¼ tsp. salt
- 2 T agave nectar or sugar
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp guar gum
- 2 eggs
- 2 T olive oil + extra for brushing
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Start by proofing the yeast. Place the yeast in a small bowl and add the water. The water needs to be about 115 degrees.--.The water will feel very very warm but not hot. When you put your wrist under the tap water it should feel the same temp as your wrist. Got it?????
- Set aside. (If it doesn't puff up by the time you use it, you need to start over)
- Mix all of the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the eggs, olive oil, cider vinegar, agave (if using), and proofed yeast
- Dip your hands in plenty of tapioca flour and roll into 5 equal sized balls. Place on a greased cookie sheet. Then, slightly flatten with the palm of your hand.
- Brush some olive oil over the tops of the buns and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Cover and allow to rise for about 45 minutes in a warm spot. *Hint- I placed a salt shaker in the middle of my cookie sheet before I covered it with a kitchen towel so the towel didn't stick to the buns.
- Remove kitchen towel and bake 12-15 minutes or until nicely browned.
- Allow to cool completely (so the inside of the buns can properly set up).
|Can be found at any grocery store on the baking aisle|
*I think pectin would also work.