This keto, paleo, & low-carb sloppy joe recipe is a simple but delicious weeknight meal that comes together in one skillet in under 30 minutes! Then, serve over some low-carb hamburger buns for a classic dish.
These simple sloppy joes are made low carb by using sugar-free ketchup and a brown keto sweetener. But don't worry, no one will ever be able to tell the difference!
Watch the YouTube video!
See how easy this recipe is to make on my Youtube channel! Watch the full video here: Sloppy Joe YouTube Video
Here's the cast of characters to make keto sloppy joes:
- green bell pepper
- tomato paste
- sugar-free ketchup
- chili powder
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- dried mustard
- Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- keto brown sweetener (optional)
Ketchup is surprisingly high in sugar and carbs, so to make this keto-friendly, you'll need to use low-carb, sugar-free ketchup.
I usually use Heinz No Sugar Added Ketchup because it only has 1 carb per Tablespoon.
However, I also like Primal Kitchen Ketchup. Even though it has more carbs (2 carbs per Tablespoon), it contains no artificial sweetener and is also paleo and whole30-friendly.
If you've never had sloppy joes before, you might be surprised to know that they are meant to be slightly sweet, however, it's a matter of taste. Feel free to omit or use less sweetener if you prefer your meat more savory.
If you do choose to use a sweetener, I prefer to use Besti Brown Sweetener, but any low-carb brown sweetener will work!
For paleo, use coconut palm sugar.
Frequently asked questions
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
Yes, you can! Simply store in the freezer for 2 to 3 months in a freezer-safe container.
Yes, if you prefer, you can add 1 to 2 teaspoon of prepared yellow mustard or dijon mustard in place of the dried mustard.
Add some oil or butter to a large skillet or dutch oven and heat over medium-high heat.
Once hot, add the beef and cook until brown, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Drain off the fat if desired.
Add the green pepper and cook until tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
Then, add in the remaining ingredients. This includes onion powder, garlic powder, sugar-free ketchup, chili powder, dry mustard, tomato paste, water, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and sweetener (if using).
Bring the meat mixture to a boil. Then, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
How to serve
You can also add any of these easy sides for a complete meal:
Or serve with one of these pre-made salad bar ideas from This Vivacious Life!
If you've tried this Paleo Low-Carb Sloppy Joe Recipe, please let me know what you think in the comment below!
Keto Low-Carb Sloppy Joe Recipe
- Keto Hamburger Buns - for serving
- 2 tablespoon Avocado Oil - butter, or oil of choice
- 2 Lbs. Ground Beef
- 1 Whole Green Bell Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 ½ cups Sugar-Free Ketchup
- 2 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Dry Mustard
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1 cup Water
- Worchestershire Sauce - optional, to taste (I usually drizzle in around 1 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt - or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper - to taste
- 2 tablespoon Keto Brown Sweetener - optional
- Prepare the hamburger buns and set aside.
- Add the oil or butter to a large skillet or dutch oven and heat over medium-high heat.
- Once hot, add the beef and cook until brown, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Drain off the fat if desired.
- Add the green pepper and cook until tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Then, add the onion powder, garlic powder, sugar-free ketchup, chili powder, dry mustard, tomato paste, water, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Taste and add the sweetener if desired.
- Bring the meat mixture to a boil. Then, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Taste and adjust the salt and seasonings as desired.
- Serve with prepared hamburger buns.
- See how easy this recipe is to make on my YouTube channel! Watch the full video here: Sloppy Joe YouTube Video
- Nutrition information uses Heinz Sugar-Free Ketchup, which has 1 carb per Tablespoon and does not include the hamburger buns
- For Paleo, use Primal Kitchen Ketchup, Paleo Hamburger Buns, and coconut palm sugar for the sweetener.
Nutritional information is approximate and may vary.
Looking for more information on the keto diet? Check out these resources: