These low-carb keto sloppy joes are a simple but delicious weeknight meal that comes together in under 30 minutes - hamburger bun and all!
These simple keto low-carb sloppy joes are made low carb by using sugar-free ketchup and a brown keto sweetener. But don't worry, no one will ever be able to tell the difference!
Here's the cast of characters to make keto sloppy joes:
- green bell pepper
- tomato paste
- sugar-free ketchup
- chili powder
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- dried mustard
- Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- keto brown sweetener (optional)
Ketchup is surprisingly high in sugar and carbs, so to make this keto-friendly, you'll need to use low-carb, sugar-free ketchup.
I usually use Heinz No Sugar Added Ketchup because it only has 1 carb per Tablespoon.
However, I also like Primal Kitchen Ketchup. Even though it has more carbs (2 carbs per Tablespoon), it contains no artificial sweetener and is also paleo and whole30-friendly.
If you've never had sloppy joes before, you might be surprised to know that they are meant to be slightly sweet, however, it's a matter of taste. Feel free to omit or use less sweetener if you prefer your meat more savory.
If you do choose to use a sweetener, I prefer to use Besti Brown Sweetener, but any low-carb brown sweetener will work!
For paleo, use coconut palm sugar.
Frequently asked questions
Traditionally, sloppy joes are not keto-friendly because are made with added sugar and then served over a high-carb bun. However, this recipe is sugar-free and served on a gluten-free keto bun, coming in at only 6 net carbs (including the bun!) making it keto-friendly and gluten-free!
Yes, you can! You can substitute the ground beef with ground pork or ground turkey.
Yes, if you prefer, you can add 1 to 2 tsp. of prepared yellow mustard or dijon mustard in place of the dried mustard.
Step 1: Brown the beef and cook a green bell pepper.
Add some oil or butter to a large skillet or dutch oven and heat over medium-high heat.
Once hot, add the beef and cook until brown, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Drain off the fat if desired.
Add the green pepper and cook until tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
Step 2: Add in the remaining sloppy joe sauce ingredients.
This includes onion powder, garlic powder, sugar-free ketchup, chili powder, dry mustard, tomato paste, water, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and sweetener (if using).
Step 3: Simmer and serve.
Bring the meat mixture to a boil. Then, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
Serve over keto hamburger buns for a classic dinner.
These low-carb buns can not only can they be thrown together in less than 10 minutes, but they're sturdy, have a killer crumb, hold together well, and aren't eggy or crumbly!
Simply mix and put them in the oven. While they are baking you can whip up the low-carb sloppy joe filling.
And by the time the filling is done, the buns will be coming out of the oven. It's a quick and easy 30-minute meal - keto bun and all!
How to serve
You can also add any of these easy keto sides for a complete meal:
Or serve with one of these pre-made salad bar ideas from This Vivacious Life!
This is a great make-ahead meal! Here are the storage instructions:
- Store: Store in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
- Freeze: Freeze in an airtight container for 2 to 3 months.
- Reheat: Reheat in a saucepan over medium heat until heated through. If frozen, thaw before reheating.
If you've tried these low-carb keto sloppy joes, please let me know what you think in the comment below!
Low-Carb Keto Sloppy Joes
- Keto Hamburger Buns - for serving
- 2 tablespoon Avocado Oil - butter, or oil of choice
- 2 Lbs. Ground Beef
- 1 Whole Green Bell Pepper
- 1 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 ½ cups Sugar-Free Ketchup
- 2 tsp. Chili Powder
- 1 tsp. Dry Mustard
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1 cup Water
- Worchestershire Sauce - optional, to taste (I usually drizzle in around 1 tsp.)
- 1 tsp. Sea Salt - or to taste
- ¼ tsp. Ground Black Pepper - to taste
- 2 Tbsp. Keto Brown Sweetener - optional
- Prepare the hamburger buns and set aside.
- Add the oil or butter to a large skillet or dutch oven and heat over medium-high heat.
- Once hot, add the beef and cook until brown, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Drain off the fat if desired.
- Add the green pepper and cook until tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Then, add the onion powder, garlic powder, sugar-free ketchup, chili powder, dry mustard, tomato paste, water, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Taste and add the sweetener if desired.
- Bring the meat mixture to a boil. Then, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Taste and adjust the salt and seasonings as desired.
- Serve with prepared hamburger buns.
Add Your Own Notes
- See how easy this recipe is to make on my YouTube channel! Watch the full video here: Sloppy Joe YouTube Video
- Nutrition information uses Heinz Sugar-Free Ketchup, which has 1 carb per Tablespoon and does not include the hamburger buns
- For Paleo, use Primal Kitchen Ketchup, Paleo Hamburger Buns, and coconut palm sugar for the sweetener.
- Storage Instructions: The sloppy joe filling can be stored in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days or frozen for 2 to 3 months.
NET CARBS = Total Carbs - Fiber
Nutritional information is approximate and may vary. Sugar alcohols are included in the total carbs and fiber.
Looking for more information on the keto diet? Check out my