While I still love this easy recipe for baking and cooking, please see my NEW cultured dairy free sour cream recipe that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE and has the taste and feel of ‘real’ sour cream!!! Plus, it’s Paleo and still nut free 🙂
When I was at the health food store last week I was trying to find a dairy free sour cream that wasn’t made from soy. To me, soy products have a distinct taste I don’t much care for. I was so wishing that SO Delicious carried a sour cream when I had the brilliant idea to buy yogurt and make my own sour cream! I’ve made cashew sour cream many times and it’s awesome, but I was looking for a nut free option that didn’t require a blender 🙂
I was so proud of myself for coming up for such an original idea. When I got home I went ahead and decided to Google how to make sour cream from yogurt to see what came up or to get some ideas and about a million recipes popped up… guess it wasn’t such an original idea 🙂 At first I tried it with the regular yogurt but no matter what I did to it I couldn’t get it thick enough. So then, I used the Greek style yogurt and it worked great – my whole family loved it! I have to be honest and tell you that it does have a very slight aftertaste, but we still loved it! Also, it works great in baking – I’ve made it several times in different recipes and it has always works like a charm.
Here’s the super easy recipe:
*If you don’t have a nut allergy, I actually prefer this cashew based sour cream from The Tasty Alternative when eating as a topping. I’ve made it many times and it’s absolutely perfect 🙂 However, I prefer the recipe below to use when baking and cooking.
- Method One:
- 1 6-oz. SO Delicious Dairy Free Plain Yogurt, Greek Style
- ¾ Tsp. Lemon Juice, more to taste (fresh is best!)
- Method Two:
- ½ C Coconut Cream (place full fat canned coconut milk into the fridge for 6 hours to overnight and scoop out the coagulated cream. I recommend Thai Kitchen or Sprouts brand)
- 1½ tsp. Lemon Juice
- Pinch salt
- Filtered water
- Drain off any excess liquid from the yogurt.
- Stir the yogurt and lemon juice together in a small container.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes (preferably longer) before using.
- Gently Combine the coconut cream and lemon juice. If the cream is too thick or hard to combine, add filtered water as needed to achieve the right consistency. Taste and add more lemon juice if needed. Stir in the pinch of salt. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.