My mom gave me this recipe when my husband and I got married over 10 years ago! She made massive quantities of this and served this at our wedding shower. I have no idea why it’s taken me so long to post because it’s one of the best recipes I’ve ever come into contact with. It’s right up there with her chimichanga recipe
This dish is super easy, you can throw all the ingredients in a crock pot that morning and have dinner ready when you get home. PLUS, it’s a crowd pleaser and everyone will fall in love with it. I don’t know about you but I’ve never met anyone who didn’t like a good Mexican dish
You’ll start by placing a chuck roast and a chopped onion in the crock pot. Then you stir in homemade taco seasoning with water. Let it cook 5 hours on high. Then shred the beef with 2 forks and stir in some taco sauce and green chilis. That’s it!!! Serve it up with all the fixin’s and listen to the oohhhhsss and ahhhhsss
- 1½ Lbs Beef Chuck Roast
- 1 Medium Onion, Chopped
- 1 Cup Water
- ½ Tsp. Onion Powder
- ¼ Tsp. Garlic Powder
- ¾ Tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 Tsp. Cumin
- 1 Tsp. Paprika
- ½ Tsp. Oregano
- ¼ Tsp. Sugar, Honey, or Preferred Sweetener
- 1 Tbsp. Chili Powder
- 8 – 10 Oz. Taco Sauce
- 1 4-Oz Can of Diced Green Chilis
- Hot Sauce
- Dairy Free Sour Cream (*See Above)
- Grain Free Flour Tortillas (*See Above) or Corn Tortillas
- Line or spray crock pot with cooking oil.
- Place beef and onion in crock pot.
- Combine water with all of the spices…. the onion powder, garlic powder, salt, cummin, paprika, oregano, sugar, and chili powder, then pour over beef.
- Cook on high for 5 hours or until very tender.
- Remove meat and shred with 2 forks in a large bowl (or shred in crock pot, either way)
- Stir in taco sauce and chilis.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. of olive oil or oil of choice of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add a corn tortilla and heat just until soft, less than a minute, then turn over for 15 – 30 more seconds. Do not over heat them or they will be hard. Repeat with remaining tortillas.