This Slow Cooker or Instant Pot Pot Roast is not only easy, flavorful, and fork tender – but it’s also gluten free, Paleo, and can be made low-carb too!
how to cook a perfect instant pot pot roast:
There are 2 secrets you need to know to make a perfect pot roast:
First, try not to buy an Eye Of Round roast! Buy a chuck roast that is nicely marbled so the roast will be tender and not tough. The roast I bought is a huge, big mamma chuck roast – but buy whatever size you can find or need 😊
Second, caramelize the veggies and sear the meat before you cook them. Caramelizing the veggies brings out the sweetness in them and searing the meat locks in the juices and gives it extra flavor. This can all be done in an Instant Pot if you have one. If you’re using a slow cooker, simply carmalize the veggies and sear the meat on the stove before transferring them to a slow cooker.
After you’ve seared the meat and veggies, de-glaze the pan with some dry red wine or beef broth. Then stir in garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, thyme, and rosemary to give it some nice flavor and arrange the roast on top of the veggies.
Cooking the pot roast:
I had a huge, big mamma roast so I cooked mine on high pressure for 1 hour 15 minutes. When I checked it, it was still a bit tough so I ended up cooking it another 15 minutes and it was perfect.
Remember, a tough roast is an under cooked roast – not an overcooked roast. If the roast is still tough, add an additional 15 minutes. 1 hour in an Instant Pot is about right for a small roast, 1 hour 15 minutes for a medium roast, and 1 hour 30 minutes for a thick, big mamma roast like mine.
If you choose to cook the roast in a slow cooker, it will need to cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours. Remember, if it’s tough it needs to cook longer.
If I make baked potatoes with my roast, I always choose to make them in the oven instead of the instant pot or slow cooker to keep them from getting mushy.
Lightly coat them in oil and season them with salt and garlic powder to give them a nice flavor. Then, cook them at 350 degrees for around 1 hour. For a crispy skin bake the potatoes directly on the oven rack. For more of a steamed effect with a softer skin, wrap them in foil then pace them directly on the oven rack.
Looking for more Instant Pot Recipes? Check these out!
Slow Cooker Or Instant Pot Pot Roast
Any links on this site may be affilate links. If you purchase anything through them, your cost will remain the same, but I may make a small comission. Thank you for your support!
- 4 - 5 Lbs. Chuck Roast
- Salt as needed
- Pepper as needed
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil or Avocado Oil or as needed
- 2 Medium Onions chopped
- 1 - 2 Lbs. Chopped Carrots peeling is optional (we like lots of carrots!)
- 1 Cup Dry Red Wine or additional Beef Broth
- 2 Cups Beef Broth
- 2 Tbsp. Dried Parsley
- 1 Tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp Ground Thyme
- 3 inch Sprig Fresh Rosemary chopped, or 2 tsp. dried rosemary
- 2 Tbsp. Arrowroot or Tapioca Flour optional
- Russet Potatoes however many you want
- Oil Of Choice I prefer olive oil or avocado oil
- Garlic Powder
- Foil optional
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Roughly chop the onions and set aside. Then, chop your carrots into bite-sized pieces and set them aside too.
- Liberally salt and pepper your roast.
- Heat the oil in a very large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and carrots and cook until onions become tender. Pour into greased or lined slow cooker. Remove pot from heat and set aside.
- Stir in the wine (if using), beef broth, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, rosemary, and thyme into the slow cooker.
- Place pot back over heat, add more oil if needed, then place the meat in the pot and cook about 1 minute per side or until seared and nicely browned.
- Place meat in crock pot over the other ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours or high 4-6 hours. Remember that a dry roast is the result of under cooking not over cooking! Once done, remove roast to cutting board and shred with 2 forks. Serve alongside carrots and onions.
- To thicken the liquid to make a nice gravy (optional): Turn the crock pot on high and mix together 2 Tbsp cold water with arrowroot or tapioca flour. After roast is removed, stir the flour mixture into the liquid and stir until thickened, 3 - 5 minutes. If your slow cooker doesn't get hot enough, the liquid will not thicken. If this happens, transfer the contents of the slow cooker to a pot and bring to a boil on the stove. Liquid should thicken with a minute or two of boiling.
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Set the Instant Pot to "Saute" and let warm.
- Liberally season roast with salt and pepper. When Instant Pot says "Hot" add the oil and sear roast until brown on all sides. Set roast aside.
- Add onions and carrots and cook until onions are soft, around 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the red wine or beef broth to de-glaze the pan, scraping the bottom of the pot to get all the yummy pieces.
- Stir in the beef broth, garlic powder, onion powder, parlsey, rosemary, and thyme.
- Place the beef on top. Lock the lid in place and set vent to sealing. Push "manual" and set to 60 minutes for a small roast, 75 minutes for a medium/large roast, or 90 minutes for an extra large or really thick roast. If roast is tough after cooking cook an additional 15 minutes, or until tender.
- When Instant Pot is done, allow to release pressure naturally for 10-20 minutes then release it manually. Remove roast to cutting board and shred with 2 forks. Serve alongside carrots and onions.
- To thicken the liquid to make a nice gravy (optional): After roast is removed, press "cancel" on Instant Pot. Mix together tapioca or arrowroot flour with 2 Tbsp. cold water and set the Instant Pot to "Saute". Once it says "Hot", add the flour mixture and stir until thickened, 1-3 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash the potatoes with cold water and dry with a clean kitchen towel or paper towel. Pierce each potato 4 times about 1 inch apart on each side with a sharp knife.
- Lightly coat potatoes with oil of choice.
- Liberally season with salt and garlic powder.
- For a crispy skin, bake potatoes directly on baking sheet with no foil, but for more of a steamed effect with a soft skin, wrap each potato in foil.
- Bake 1 hour, depending on size of potato. They are done when a knife is easily inserted into center.
Nutritional information is approximate and may vary.
pin instant pot pot roast for later: